Sterilization?

On the new a few minutes ago, there was a story of a woman who gave birth to her second child that tested positive for cocaine in its blood. What I'm wondering is after the first one, should she have had to use some sort of long term BC until she could prove she was clean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh i'm a BIG believer in forced sterilzation, but unfortuneatley it's not PC :(
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Uh no it's not. And for a good reason too. Look up the history of forced sterilization and you'll see why.
    Anonymous

• I could read all I want, and it wouldn't change my mind. there are some people that SHOULD NOT be allowed to breed, PERIOD. BUT forced sterilaztion would be impossible to enforce and would take YEARS AND YEARS of writting and re-writing. So I dont' think it's ever possible, but sure is a nice thought for me
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Forced sterilization is not a road that anyone one wants go down. Where do you draw the line? Forced sterilization because a woman drank too much caffeine, smoked, ate too much junk food? Really not a good idea.
    Anonymous

• I believe you cannot dictate morality to the masses. You do it for one thing, it opens it up for other things, like forced sterilization (anon 524 you are right about that) I do think that if a child has drugs in their system when they are born, they should be turned over directly to CPS. I have no problem with the state taking care of a child that they are going to end up supporting anyway. Why give the mother the right to raise her child and get support when the child ends up having an unhealthy home environment.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 5:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• And where does that stop? Moms who abuse alcohol and drugs today, moms who smoke tomorrow, moms who have may have genetic diseases the day after, moms who may have a mental illness or mental handicap the next day, moms who don't vax (or do vax) the day after that? Where do we draw the line, and what gives us the right to choose for any other mom, if she can or cannot have more or any children? I agree that there are some parents who should not have kids, but it's a very slippery slope and one that we don't need to get started down.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Sure and who would be incharge of making the decision? How would it be made? How can you be sure it wouldn't be racially motivated like it was in the past? And isn't that a pretty big step towards fascism?

In the US your child is taken away from you if you test positive for drugs in the hospital. MEANING you are innocent until proven guilty. That's the way our law works.
    Anonymous

• Wow Zakys- I bet you believe in killing off handicapped people too.
    Anonymous

• I can't believe you guys are supporting forced sterilization!!! Wow.

We really are becoming a communist country.
    Anonymous

• Forced sterilization = the government deciding whether a woman can have a baby!!

No, i do not support it. I think it would take away serious rights and the worst is that if it ever did get passed. People would campaign for women who have had an abortion to be sterilized.

Disgusting thought.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009