Would you/did you choose to vaccinate your child?

On last night's episode of Law & Order: SVU, a 10 month old little girl died from measles because she was too young to have the vaccine for it. She was infected by a 4 year old little boy who's mom chose not to vaccinate him. It was her choice not to vaccinate her son, but her choice ultimately killed that little girl. Would you/did you choose to vaccinate your child?

amberlynsky

Asked by amberlynsky at 5:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no i did not
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yup
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I vaccinated on a delayed schedule. They started their vaccines after they weaned off of breastfeeding.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes, all 4 of our children were fully immunized, however, we opted to space them out a bit more than the normal schedule.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Nope. Did you know that since the MMR is a live virus vaccine that a recently vaccinated child can shed the virus and get others sick? Anyways, no vaccine is 100%.

Here is an interesting excerpt from the CDC website:
    From December 9, 1983, to January 13, 1984, 21 cases of measles occurred in Sangamon County, Illinois.* Nine of the cases were confirmed serologically. The outbreak involved 16 high school students, all of whom had histories of measles vaccination after 15 months of age documented in their school health records. Of the five remaining cases, four occurred in unvaccinated preschool children, two of whom were under 15 months of age, and one case occurred in a previously vaccinated college student

This outbreak demonstrates that transmission of measles can occur within a school population with a documented immunization level of 100%

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000359.htm
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes. The chances they will contract any of the given disease is much less, and if they do contract a disease, it is more likely they will have a lighter case.

The protection of my children is my number one priority.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has had all required vaxes so far and will continue.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I do get my children vaccinated, to an extent. They've never received RotoTeq or Varicella. My youngest has not had MMR yet (he's 20 mos) and he also has never had a flu shot. My daughter (3.5 yrs) got a flu shot her first year, but I haven't gotten it for her since. In the future, I will also be refusing the Gardasil vaccine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• absolutely. my son is getting every vaccine required at the recommended time. there's no way i'm putting other children and infants at risk.

and i just looked into that cdc study mentioned above. according to the same study:
    "transmission was not sustained beyond 36 days in this outbreak, and community spread was principally among UNVACCINATED preschool children. The infrequent occurrence of measles among highly vaccinated persons suggests that this outbreak may have resulted from chance clustering of otherwise randomly distributed VACCINE FAILURES in the community. That measles transmission can occur among vaccine failures makes it even more important to ensure persons are ADEQUATELY VACCINATED. Had there been a substantial number of unvaccinated or inadequately vaccinated students in the high school and the community, transmission in Sangamon County probably would have been sustained."
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 6:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• f you read more of these type of studies, you will see that "vaccinated" students who got measels (which originated from a non-vaccinated child) usually get the disease either because their vaccines had been administered improperly, because their immunization records were wrong, or they had been vaccinated at too young an age (younger than 12 months).

bottom line: properly administered vaccines save lives.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 6:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009