Who else thinks that 5 shots at a time is crazy???

I took my boys to get some shots today (my oldest is 5 years and my youngest is 8 months) they gave them both 5 shots!!! I just think that is overwhelming, and unecessary...What do you think

MaMa2_DJ_IJ

Asked by MaMa2_DJ_IJ at 5:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 5 yr old just got 4 yesterday. 2 in each thigh and i think it's crazy.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 5:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Sounds like they were behind. If you didn't want that, you should have said something.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• They could combine the shot like DTAP/Polio/ HIb, just as an example....ask the Drto combine then, les painful for your baby, i know what you feeling.......
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Our boys weren't behind, 5 yr old had 4, 6 yr old had 2, and 12 yr old had 5 shots. Yes I agree it's a crazy amount but it they had to have them for school. I'm not going to argue the shot debate, I believe in them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• yeah its good you believe in them, BUT unnecesary pain also is not right, cause the could combine them, trust me iwork in a clinic, and the dr hate it when she hears of kids get toooooo many shot,,,,,,, when we could minimize the amount of needles that they get....
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• To be quite honest they didn't cry. They have been going to the same pediatrician since they were born and are very comfortable with the staff. When they were babies I would nurse them while they were getting the shots and didn't even notice. As they got older we just distracted them, and now they just turn their heads. They also use smaller needles for children, maybe that's what helps..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I do think that 5 at a time is too many- my doctor and I think that it is better to break them up to 3 and 2 at different times. it is a bit overwhelming especially when they dont understand- My son is a year old and I dont want him to hate going to the doctor. I believe in shots- just think they can be space a little bit- and still not get behind
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 7:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I can not sleep the night before i take my daughter to the doctor, it's horrible.
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 8:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My doctor won't give more than 4 seperate shots and not more than 5 different "bugs". He uses a slightly modified shot schedule because of it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I totally agree with you. I think it is too many and too soon. I think that more than one shot/one virus or bacteria is more than enough on one day. There are more vaccines now then there were in the early 90's more in the 90's than in the 80's and so etc....

Read the book Vaccines: Are They Really Safe & Effective by Neil Z Miller.

BTW my son is unvaccinated if you want to ask any questions.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009