my son got a hold of raw hambuger!

When we were sleeping I guess a pack of hamburger fell out of the freezer and thawed on the floor. My hubby wasnt paying attention and my son was sitting there gnawing on the hamburger. Is he going to be okay? He immediately got him up and washed his mouth out and his hands off. My son is 15months.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call the doctor. Raw room temp meat is a breeding ground for germs and parasites. I'm sure he'll be ok but they may want to take a look at him and make sure he didn't get worms...as gross as that sounds!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If it was room temp, then it could be bad. If it was still cool, then think of it as Steak Tartar.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• How warm was the meat? If it was pretty warm, or even room temp, I'd contact his dr. just to be safe. If it was still pretty chilled, and just thawed, I'd just keep a close eye on him and if he starts acting sick or like he doesn't feel well, then get him into the dr. I imagine he'll probably be fine, though.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'm with PP. What I'm wondering is how a pack of hamburger fell out of the freezer while you were sleeping? That sounds really odd to me.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I have NO CLUE how it feel out...things like that have been happening a lot lately. *sigh* hubby said the package wasnt broken or anything so I suppose he will be fine. He didnt feel the need to tell me that lol he panicked before giving me the whole story.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• fell*
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Sounds like fell out of the freezer is code for "I wasn't watching him" on your husband's part! I'm sure he'll be fine. Dad's are more lax about cleanliness it seems!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Here is another reason to become vegetarian: no one ever became sick from eating raw broccoli!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• ^^^ Yeah, they only get sick from eating tainted spinach...
    Anonymous