Being Greedy?

So my fiancee and I have been arguing quite a lot lately over the baby. He says I'm being greedy with him. ie Taking him over to my family's house, friends, out to the store. And he says that when he wants to take him anywhere I have a fit. He also says I'm greedy with him because I am the one trying new things with him for example, trying him on applesauce/bananas. Then because his face got red/blotchy I tried him on sweet potatoes and he says that if he would have done that, that I would have told him No he can't try that yet yadda yadda. Ladies, anyone go through this with your husband/SO? And if so, advice please.

KareemsMami

Asked by KareemsMami at 6:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Give him some things, you know. Give him one day a week or whatever. Ok, on Saturday he can take the baby to his parents house or to the park or whatever, and you can have a day to relax. And it is important for him to be there for those firsts. Even firsts as simple as feeding a new food. If you make it hard for him to feel involved now, he may not try as the child gets older. Encourage that now so that he and baby can bond and build a strong relationship. He needs it too.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Consider yourself lucky that he wants to do the "firsts" too! Most men don't care either way, lol. My husband likes to see the kids do their firsts but isn't nuts about having to be the one to help them, ya know? Maybe you guys can take turns. And why wont you let him take the baby out? Man, I'd love that man! HAHA! Catch a break while you can!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No, because if my husband wanted to take the baby somewhere I let him. It's his son, too.

If my husband wanted to try something new with one of the babies, we discussed it and came to a decision together. If the decision was to try it, then HE was the one to do it.

It's half his kid.
    Anonymous

• LOL it's not that I don't let him take the baby out. I'm a first time mom so I guess I have that insecurity, you know being paranoid that something might happen, not knowing what the baby's doing and so on. Even though he's a great father it just bothers me not being with him when he goes out.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 6:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No, because my husband and I are equal as parents. If he wants to take our babies out and about, WONDERFUL!!!

Going places to visit, feeding, bathing, all that good stuff? That's great bonding time that he feels like he's missing out on.

Just think: There are many fathers who don't care about their children and have nothing to do with them. Your son is so very lucky to have a father in his life who wants to be involved in his life so much.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 6:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• you need to let him take the baby out and do all the fun stuff with him too. ya its that worry about whats he doing, is he crying, is he hungry does he miss me etc...but dad needs to get to spend time with him too and you are lucky he wants to take him out. just know that even though you carried the baby for what felt like a million years, dad had a part in that and dad is dad for a reason. he should be the one person you trust totally and completely with your child
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• "...it just bothers me not being with him when he goes out."

Don't worry. I know I went through that, too. I'm sure most every mother does. :-)

Just try to cut SO some slack and put your trust in him that all will be just fine while they're out and about. Believe me, you'll get comfortable with it and even take advantage of the free time to yourself.

Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 6:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• See I do tell him he needs to spend more time with the baby, but it's like every time he wants to do that he can't even spend the day at home with him. He works Friday-Sunday and doesn't come home all weekend. Other than that he's home, and I still feel like sometimes I'm the only one feeding, changing etc.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 6:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2009