Do you wash or replace trash cans?

My husband wants to replace the trash can even though I could easily wash it out. I say wash it until it is no longer "cleanable" or it is cracked. The issue is that my son threw trash in the can without a bag in there, including some empty cans, and there is a little bit of gravy and condensed soup in the bottom.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We wash ours every 1-2 weeks. About a gallon of hot water in the bottom with 2 cups of bleach. Let it sit for an hour or two, then spray it out with the hose and let it dry upside down! Works like a charm and never stinks.
    I also sprinkle about 1 cup baking soda in the bottom (under the liner) after I wash it out
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 11:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Wash it. In my opinion, throwing it out is waste basket wastefulness...
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 6:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well, I guess I would just wash it until it wasn't able to be washed. I guess I don't see the point in buying a new one if it is perfectly useable...
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 6:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Very wasteful!! And cans should be recycled! Wash it out!! It's not gonna hurt anything. Some soap and hot water, maybe a little vinegar for smells and stains.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 6:25 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Thank you! Thats what I say. I cleaned it today when he was at work, tee hee. Literally, some hot water, and pinesol was what I used. Not even a spot left on it and I just wiped it down, didn't have to scrub. Took about 3 minutes from start to finish.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• wash it. I had some lady look after my cats for a week, and she just threw the litter and poop into the trash without a bag. Ew I know!! I just took the hose to it. Still smells, I suppose I could always use something on it. But garbage is supposed to smell.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Hello, wash it, why put it in a landfill for a lifetime?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009