How many moms out there....

Recycle? I mean REALLY recycle. Like all paper, aluminum, cardboard, glass, and plastics get separated from trash items? I recycle EVERYTHING I do not buy plastic of paper items, except toilet paper (and its made from recycled paper) I use "green" cleaning products, and do anything I can to eliminate my waste and usage of water and electricity. So what do you moms do? Got any tips you'd like to share??

AnnHenderson

Asked by AnnHenderson at 6:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• should say "plastic OR paper" sorry!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 6:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Recycling is recycling.

I give my empty ink cartridges to the local girl scouts. I use reusable shopping bags. We changed all of our lightbulbs to the energy efficient ones (although they are bad for the environment to dispose of them). I have a swiffer and use a ratty washcloth on it instead of buying the swiffer pads. We recycle our milk, juice, and pop jugs as well as cardboard.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would love to recycle more but it seems like to much work, not to mention that I live in the boonies and there isn't a place to recycle anyhow. I do save my aluminum cans for a boy that sells them.
    Anonymous

• I didn't know that compact fluorescents were bad for the environment. WOW! So what are you supposed to do with them when the finally burn out?
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 6:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes, they contain mercury. Handle with care. Do your best not to break them in your house. If you do call poison control on how to clean up.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2052849_safely-dispose-energy-efficient-light.html

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I recycle every damn thing to the point of annoyance. My garbage is never full. My recycle bin is ridiculous. The garbage man digs through my garbage to see if I put food scraps in it. If I did, he charges me $5 additional to my bill. Thanks to our hideous mayor in Seattle.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would love to start a compost pile, but I live on a military base, and the idiots that cut the grass would probably ruin it. That's awful they charge you if there are food scraps in the trash??
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 6:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• we recycle everything and make our own cleaners.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I dont recycle. On the other hand, I dont use that many recyclable items. It costs money for us to recycle. Id rather save my money.
    Anonymous

• I wish I could do more. When I lived at my parents' house, I recycled everything! That bin was so full! Now, I live in an apartment and we have no recycling here :( I used to take the stuff down to my mom's but in a small apartment with two kids, there really isn't anywhere to put a bin and when I did have one, my toddler was on it like white on rice! I can't wait til we move into our rental house! The recycle man is going to hate me!!!!!!!!!! I do have compact floresent bulbs in all our lights, though, and we turn off all electricity whenever possible and keep our heat down low (it's cool enough to be efficient, but it's also comfortable). I reuse things whenever possible and we buy green cleaning products or make our own. Once I have the freedom of a house, you can bet we'll be a lot more green!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2009