Do you think it is right to TRY for a certain gender?

I know several people that have all the kids that they really want or need but still say they are going to try for that boy or girl! I don't know why this drives me nuts! But I think you should try for another baby because you want another baby not because you are trying for a certain gender! Anybosy else feel this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• As long as the want for another baby comes before the want of specific gender, it's fine by me.

What drives me nuts is people who are all sorry for me because we decided no more kids after having 2 boys. "Awww, I'm sorry you're not trying for a girl..." Huh. Really? I'm not.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 6:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't think it's a big deal to try for a certain gender. I am pregnant with my first and its a boy, so next time around I'm gonna try all the tricks in the book to try and get myself a girl. But ultimately I feel that you will have whatever God gives you...and as long as you are happy with either sex that's all that matters.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i really think people who say that, want another child. i don't know anyone who has said "i have all boys but i want a girl" and not wanted another child already. if they were happy with their family as is, than they wouldn't be trying for another child in the first place.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Roflmao then I must bother you. I have one girl and four boys and want another girl. I am not having another baby anytime with in the next year (or trying for that matter) because I am trying to finish up my degree before being on bed rest again lol. When I try again it will be for a healthy baby not for a gender specific child. But God knows I want another girl to help balance out the testosterone in this house :-). What exactly is meant by the phrase" all the kids they want or need"... Just curious.. Hopefully you are not trying to imply that every person should be bound by a certain number of children.. :-) I am just being a smarty pants.. I tend to do that...
    SuthrnPrincess

Answer by SuthrnPrincess at 6:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Honestly, I don't want any girls. I'd like to have my little soldiers :] But if I am blessed with a girl, I wouldn't love her any less. But I'll also know my SO will be a happy man LOL.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 6:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think people like you overreact to a simple statement of preference. They're not saying they only love boys (or girls, whichever), they're saying they'd really like the opportunity to parent a boy (or girl), but it's not like they're tossing the babies into the rubbish bin because they don't have the right dangly bits. Don't read so much into what's obviously just the verbal expression of a wish.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• When you say that "they have all the kids that the really want or need", is that you saying they don't want or need anymore, or did they say they don't want anymore kids, but they are going to try for a girl anyway?

My husband had 3 boys by his first marriage. I knew he had always wanted to have a little girl, not that he loves his boys any less, he just always admired the father-daughter relationships, always wanted a "Daddy's Girl". And he treats my daughter as his own, but she has her own dad. I told him that he had one shot...no matter what the gender of the child we would have together, we were done at one. He agreed, and we have our daughter together.

With all of the kids, you cannot point out one and say that they are loved any differently than any other. They are all loved and treated the same, no matter who gave birth to whom, from what marriage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009