Are you black and white, or grey?

When it comes to religion, do you believe that there are absolutes when it comes to some things? Or do you believe everything is relative?

beccare2000

Asked by beccare2000 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The one absolute I believe in is Mother and Father God, call them Yaweh, Allah, whatever.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I believe I am black and white... it is either /or . grey area is the fence and I am one side of the fence. God's side that is.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I believe in mostly absolutes when it comes to my faith. I believe the Bible is very clear on certain things and that certain things are to be taken literally.

When it comes to the figurative parts of the Bible, there is an allowable grey area. Each person interprets what a piece means to them and what they feel God is telling them. Prayer, to me, is similar.

Any other "grey area" in my beliefs (my tolerance of people I disagree with or denominations/religions that I think misinterpret my faith) are based on ONE absolute. And that is that Jesus died to save anyone who calls on him to be saved, I'm not to judge anybody because I sin the same as they do and Jesus calls us to love and accept others.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I will admit I am a "Black or White" type of person. I believe in absolute truth, and I believe that it is the Bible and the good news of Jesus Christ. : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I am black in some areas, white in others and grey in a few.

It just depends on the topic. I have several things that I believe to be absolute and several that I feel should never be considered to be definite or in 'stone' and some that I don't feel are right but know they very well could be.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• black and white.. agree with Cinnamon-mom.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Cinnamom, You believe in the absolute truth as you PERSIVE  it.  I believe in a God of my understanding...That I don't understand. Everyone that reads the book ..lets say Catcher in the Rye has their own interpretation  and perception. The Bible is the same thing which is why this nonsense of drama regarding the Bible goes on and on. Everyone thinks that there Right and everyone else is Wrong. Come on now.

Anonymous

• I am more of a 'shades of grey' kind of person... I don't think I'm 'on the fence,' I just have a tendancy to see all the mitigating factors of things rather than the absolutes. This is part of the reason why Buddhism is a good fit for me... emphasis on non-duality rather than dividing everything into two different camps. For whatever reason, my mind just does not view things that way, though I tried very hard to make myself see things that way when I was younger.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Anon: 29 I understand what you are saying. I was just trying to honestly answer the question.

But I really don't think that the Bible is that confusing. I mean it is pretty easy to read it and see what it says. Sure some people have different ideas about some things, just like you would reading Catcher in the Rye. But it isn't a work of post-modern literature so we should just let the text speak for itself and not read into it with our own ideas or biases.

I wasn't trying to start anything. I respect your opinion. I just believe that what I believe is really real. I hope everyone does!!!

: )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Very very grey. Extremely grey. I believe the only absolutes in life are in math.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009