Has anyone been told their child has a flat head and needs a helmet?

My pediatrician suggested that I take my son to see a Pediatric Neurosurgeon to see about a condition called Plagiocephaly. The Neurosurgeon wants me to do physical therapy for 2 months then have my son fitted for this helmet and wear it for 3 months. I don't know what to do because this flat spot will not impair my son from learning in any way- it's only cosmetic. I do not know what to do! HELP

Apeenj

Asked by Apeenj at 6:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Health

• It can cause him years of teasing as well. He only wears it at night to shape the head or while inside, you can take it off in public if you want. I would do it so my child wouldn't get teased later on in life.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The back of my sons head is flat also. Our pediatrician said that once he starts rolling around and moving it'll round out. And even if it doesnt, when they get older, more hair is gonna grow in and cover it. I wouldnt worry about it unless its real serious.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009