If I do end up having gestational diabetes, what will i have to do?

i failed my one hour sugar test today miserably (the nurse said it was supposed to be under 140, it was 167) so i have to go back for the three hour test next week. if i do have gestational diabetes what will that mean? and has anyone passed the three hour test after having failed the one hour test?

ErikLynn

Asked by ErikLynn at 6:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did you follow the no eating rule before you took it? That can screw it up. You can pass it at the 3 hour test but if you have it they will have you monitor it and possible either start shots or pills to keep it in check. They will tell you to avoid weight gain and things like that. Once you have the baby it will go away or should if you stay on it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I had it, and all I had to do was follow a diet. And man oh man did I follow that diet to a T! I refused to have my blood tested numerous times a day and have to give myself shots, and I was NOT having a big baby. BUT its different for everyone. As long as you follow the rules and do whatever you have to whether its diet alone, you'll be fine. I was so strict on myself my son was 6lb10oz. Sadly that was the only time I could follow such a strict diet. Good luck!! PM if you have any questions!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 7:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• well the doctor was freaking out with me and possibly having diabetes, so he told me if i did have it then i would get moved to a high risk doctor and probably have a c section
    rkm0731

Answer by rkm0731 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Gestational diabetes is pregnancy induced diabetes. The reason for scheduled c-section is for 2 reasons: 1, to prevent preaclampsia( its what's happens when gest diab is beyond control; does not always happen!!!), 2 to keep the baby from getting too big. The only cure for gest diab is delivery of the baby!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• thats scary because i have to go do that test tomarrow and all they did was tell me to come in at 9am nothing else
    honeyb690

Answer by honeyb690 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Get ready they are gong to get blood several times i think it's 5 times, it's posible that you will fail those too, so just folow doctors, and nutricionist instructions and you and baby will be fine.
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i did follow the no eating/ drinking rule. so i could possibly have to have a c-section but not for sure? just if its beyond control or they think the babys getting too big?
    ErikLynn

Answer by ErikLynn at 7:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• They will do an ultra-sound towards the end of your pregnancy to see how big the baby is (if you have gestational diabetes) and they will then decided how to deliver your baby.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 7:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy. My doctors sent me to a high risk doctor and diabetes nutritionist that put me on a strict diet. I did have to test my blood 5 times a days and keep a chart of my sugar levels, as well as take a pill every evening, but it really wasn't that bad. The doctors normally keep a close eye on your baby's growth because the babies have a tendency to be a little larger. With my son they induced me 6 days early and I delivered vaginally and Zachary was 7 lb 7 oz at 21inches.
    TDUNGER

Answer by TDUNGER at 7:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• First, it is not required for you to fast before the one hour test. Yes, plenty of women have passed the 3 hour test after failing the one hour - you MUST fast before and during the 3 hour test.
    If you have diabetes, it may be controlled by diet, pills, or insulin. If it is well controlled, your chances of a too big baby or much less. American College of OB-GYN recommends c/s if the baby is over 9lbs AND you have diabetes. They recommend vaginal delivery if the baby is a normal size and diabetes is well controlled.
    jen1350

Answer by jen1350 at 6:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2009