Colic or just high maintenance?

So my 8 week old daughter cries A LOT. She needs to be held 24/7. Her crying usually occurs at night, but there are things I can do to stop it. She likes being worn in a sling and any type of motion helps. I don't know if it's colic or that she's just high maintenance. For those with colick-y babies, was there really nothing you could do to stop them from crying? Is my baby just high maintenance? She usually cries b/c she's tired and/or wants to be held. What do you think? If your baby was like this did he/she outgrow it? I'm going to lose my mind!

danielp

Asked by danielp at 7:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd would cry A LOT at about that age. For a few hours a night, mostly in the evenings. We have a sling/carrier that helped a lot. She definately grew out of it by about 3 or 4 months, I think, but it was insane for awhile. We used to give her Gripe Water by Little Tummys' that would help. Got it at the drug store. It does get better, whether she is colicky or just fussy, they grow out of it.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my daughter did that she wasn't a colicky baby though. if its something you can stop and get her to calm down than i'd think it wasn't b/c colic they are just supposed to cry for no apparent reason. she's probably just high maintenance and will grow out of it. my daughter started when she was about 3 weeks old and it ended around the 4 month time. i just carried her in a baby carrier when i was doing stuff in the house, and saved the stuff i couldn't do while holding her (cooking major scrubbing) for when my husband got home and he could get her if she was getting too fussy
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• That sounds like colic. You can try weak chamomile tea and frequent breastfeeding.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes, it did start around 3 weeks, that sounds just like my girl vabchmommy. I keep hearing that they get better around 3 or 4 months and I"m just hoping. She's not always cranky, she still smiles and laughs a lot, but she is majorly fussy most of the time unless she's being held or entertained. She naps and sleeps at night though, so it could be a lot worse. Thanks.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 7:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• In all honesty, it doesn't really matter what you call it, and no one really knows what causes colic or why some babies are super fussy... none of this changes the bottom line, which is you have your work cut out for you. Just write down a list of the things that work -- put all other plans on hold -- and enlist help whenever you can. Don't be afraid to take breaks, don't worry if this means other people will have to deal with a crying baby, and if no one's around and you need 5 minutes, make sure she's safe and step outside. Here's what my midwife told me at a 4 week appt -- at 12 weeks things should start getting better... so go mark it on your calendar. For me they did. One day at a time...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• An exclusively breastfed baby who is fussy and wants to eat very frequently is often getting too much foremilk due to mom's oversupply of milk. Go to Am I making too much milk?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2009