Anyone had experience with their baby being born with 2 true knots in the umbilical cord?

My youngest son was born with complications two months early, one being a placental abruption - where the placental rips off the uterine wall, and when he was born via emergency c-section, there were 2 true knots in his cord. We both almost died. I havent been able to find much info on this and the doctors had never seen it (2 knots) and took photos for textbooks and teaching purposes. Any help?

mommyof3xy

Asked by mommyof3xy at 7:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• placental abruption can be really serious. the knots: not so much..

What are umbilical cord knots?
    About 1 percent of babies are born with one or more knots in the umbilical cord (1). Some knots form during delivery when a baby with a nuchal cord is pulled through the loop. Others form during pregnancy when the baby moves around. Knots occur most often when the umbilical cord is too long and in identical-twin pregnancies. Identical twins share a single amniotic sac, and the babies' cords can become entangled. As long as the knot remains loose, it generally does not harm the baby. However, sometimes the knot or knots can be pulled tight, cutting off the baby's oxygen supply. Cord knots result in miscarriage or stillbirth in 5 percent of cases (1). During labor and delivery, a tightening knot can cause the baby to have heart rate abnormalities that are detected by fetal monitoring. In some cases, a c/s may be necessary.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I ask because I have not ever met anyone or heard of anyone else with two true knots- these were aparently formed when he was very small , they were very tight- In the operating room all the docs pulled out their phones and took pics of the cord. Nicely, one of them emailed me a pic. I was even asked to sign some release forms so the photos could be use in a textbook. His cord was not really long, I had been in what we thought was false labor since 20 weeks, but after birth he docs thought he was perhaps trying to spontaneaously abort due to the tight knots. Needless to say i didnt get a vag birth with the abruption, but the abruption probably saved his life as I was told those knots would surely have cut off all his O2 supply. I guess everything happened as it was supposed to as I had been getting progeseterone injections weekly since 20weeks to help stop early labor, and got my steriod shots 2 days b4 birth.Miracle boy
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 10:34 PM on May. 10, 2009