What do you do to teach your children leadership skills?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We teach her to be gracious when she wins a soccer game, and her friends and peers lose. I remind her that we don't brag, and we offer up good things to the opponent. As a friend, we include others, and don't leave people out. For example, her first sleep over, we had 3 girls because they all eat together at school daily. It was fun! I teach her to do her best and help others. It all come up in the daily activities we do. I do think my oldest is a natural leader, and I'm trying to make sure she utilizes this characteristic with grace and poise.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i feel it comes down to personality. if your child is a natural leader, they need to be given opportunities to learn to be gracious and fair. playing team games is great for this. if your child is a natural follower, this isnt necessarily as bad thing, but parents need to make sure their child can think for themselves, and make up their own minds about things. we cant all be the boss, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with not being the leader in life.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• We demonstrate it, we talk about it, not as this huge discussion, but as it would come up in life situations (how could you have helped this classmate who was being picked on, what did you think about how so and so handled that, what can you do to help make this situation better, etc...)

Also, they are involved in Scouting, and leadership skills are something that's taught there in a fun way :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think being a leader comes from self-confidence. If you are confident in your skills or yourself, you will feel more comfortable talking about and showing others how or what to do. Self-confidence comes within, but parents can encourage by praising and acknowledging their children's good skills/actions. See these books for kids  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=17

momjs

Answer by momjs at 8:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Well first of all, leadership is a natural personality trait. Some come by it really naturally and have no problem just stepping up to the plate. Its just in them. Other people have to work a little harder at it, especially if they are not the first born child or first born sex in their family. Meaning that first born boys and first born girls come by this more natural. ANYONE can learn, but what makes it hard is when older siblings dont step back and let younger siblings learn for themselves. They want to fix for them. ALso kids will learn it easier if their parents are born leaders. My husband and myself are both leaders by nature so ALL of our kids have picked up on our skills. Teaching your kids to take charge in a situation when no one else wants to do it, is a great way. Teaching them to think through problems and offer solutions is good too. Self confidence is KEY. If a child is lacking in self esteem they ..cont
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• are less likely to step up. Teaching them to be gracious and giving helps because others LOVE that quality as well as compasionate. I dont know anyone who doesnt follow a truly compassionate person. I still think modeling by example is the best way. By far. There are a few books I recommend. John Maxwell is one of the best teachers on leadership and he has a book called the 7 habits of highly effective people and also one for kids. Check those out. As a family who works in the ministry, my husband, myself and all 4 of our kids are leaders. WE don't have a choice. Its where God put us and we just have to do what hes asked of us. Its hard sometimes, but we automatically find ourselves leading others on a regular basis. Good luck and its great that you desire this for your kids. Its a great quality to have......don't let it lead to perfectionism though..
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• As the other pp's said - self confidence is vital. But, so is knowing your limitations - you need to be able to be confident enough in yourself to recognize other people's strengths, too.

Plus, don't teach them to be afraid of failure. We teach our kids that failure is acceptable, but apathy is not. In other words, don't be afraid to try things - the problem is when you don't care enough to bother either way.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2009