8 week old eats every two hours.

I exclusively breastfeed and my 8 week old wants to eat every 2 hrs. She is gaining weight fine and is healthy. The prob. is she does this at night too. It's every two hours on the dot pretty much. It is so exhausting for me b/c I haven't slept for longer than a 3 hr. stretch since she's been born! Is this normal?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 7:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unfortunately, yes. You will get more sleep soon...until then, it does suck.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Very normal. You're supposed to BF every 1-3 hours. Babies at that age normally don't let you sleep much anyhow. Welcome to motherhood :]
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 7:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Sounds about right... but be sure you're nursing totally on demand during the day -- if she gets more in during the day she's more likely to do a longer stretch at night (but at this stage we're talking maybe 5-6 hours)... For awhile with my first daughter I thought every 2 hours was considered super frequent, so I'd try to hold her off until it had been 2 hours... but in reality she wanted to nurse more like every hour or 90 minutes during the day... once I stopped trying to hold her off and just fed her basically all day long, she started doing better at night.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• They hit a growth spurt at 2 months. My daughter who has been sleeping a 6-7 hour stretch since 4 weeks was waking up at least once a night to eat for about 4 days last week. The doctor said its because babies hit a growth spurt at 2 months.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• VERY Normal! Good Job mommy!
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 7:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• http://motheringtools.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=18 this article is about the normal feeding patterns throughout infancy. yes, its completely normal, it wont last long, and the way to get this over with is to nurse, nurse nurse! your baby is telling your body that they are growing, and to make more milk. supplementing will only slow down this process, because if milk isnt being taken from the breast, the breast wont make more to cope with the increase in need.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 8:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My girl is 8 weeks and shes been sleeping through the night for afew weeks now.
    She eats about every 2 hours in the day.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Normal! this is why I brought my kids into bed with me, so that I could sleep through a lot of those nursing sessions! For in of on sleeping safely with your baby go to Should I sleep with my baby?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My 8mo DS breastfeeds every 2-4 hours and still wakes up 2-4 times a night to BF.. The lactation specialist said it's normal.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 8:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2009