Can we deduct?

My daughter is living with us now, but will be married December 19th. Since she lived with us and we are supporting her with food, shelter, medical expenses, will WE be able to use her as a deduction on OUR taxes, or will her new husband (of 2 weeks) be the one who gets to deduct her as his married partner?

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 7:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• i believe as long as she was with you for a certain period of time, than you can deduct her. my sister left for boot camp in oct, but my parents were still able to claim her on their taxes somehow.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I think you need to check with an accountant or a tax place. I remember when I was getting married, my employer told me that even if you get married on December 31 at 11:59, you claim married for that yr on your taxes. But you supported her, so it would seem you should be able to claim her. But I would talk to someone who does it for a living, b/c they will know all the ins and outs.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• OUR tax guy told me that we would not be able to claim her ~ it just DOESN'T seem fair!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 8:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• We WERE able to deduct our other child, even tho she had moved to another state. She lived with us at least half the year, but she did not get married, just moved. This year we won't be able to deduct either one.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 8:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Call the IRS

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Does she have any kind of job? Two years ago I seperated from my husband and my son and I moved back home with my parents. They would claim my son because they put him on their health insurance so he would be covered....legally that meant they had to claim him. For 2008 they were able to claim me as well because I only worked for a few months as a cashier and I made less than $3,000. If I had made $3,001 they would NOT have been able to claim me.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2009