• In the Spotlight:

Health insurance deductions....

My husband's employer is taking $800/month out of his paycheck to pay for our health insurance. I believe we are paying the full amount, just using his group. It's not the greatest insurance, we still have a huge deductible, and our prescription costs are horrendous! Here's my question: since the employer is taking it out of his salary, will we be able to deduct the $800/month as well as other medical expenses on next year's tax forms? (We DO file long form.) Our tax guy said we might not be able to...

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 7:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are they taking the amount out before taxes on his check. You need to find out. We pay 400 a month for our insurance but we have great coverage. The insurance is taken out before taxes so we could not claim that at all. Sounds like you husband needs to chat with HR or read the information they gave him when he was hired.
    Anonymous

• Just call the IRS and ask them .

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2009