Anyone had a parent die??

I am 22 and I have a 3 year old daughter and both of my parents are deceased (my father died when i was 12 and my mother died in April of '08) and I am just wondering first off if I get easier and how you get past it and also if you had children how do you talk about your deceased parents around them. My daughter was only 2 when my mother died and I am in the process of selling my mothers house and my daughter always tells me when we go down there that nanny (my mother) doesn't live her anymore or she asks when nany will come back? I guess I am wondering how to explain death to her...I have tried to but she doesn't seem to understand it...Is there an easier way to explain it so that she understands???

StefNBecca

Asked by StefNBecca at 7:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• tell her the truth. that her nanny went to heaven to be an angel. and she looks down on you and your kids to watch over her family. i found it easier to tell your kids the truth about death as they are growing up and as it happens. keep pictures around of your parents so she always knows who they are and what they look like. i lost my grandparents when i was 2 or 3 and i miss them. my mom made sure i didn't forget them. i had a good relationship with them.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Im 27 and have an 8 year old and 3 yr old. My father died last September. He lost the battle with kidney disease. He was so full of life and my 8 year old adored him, as myself. He always picked with me and my sis and told us he would outlive us. I still can't believe it because its like he was to strongwilled to die. I have like a little shrine in my home in his honor. He was so nice and never held a grudge.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't really say too much to my daughter because she starts crying and all. She sometimes stares at his pics that I have set up. My 3 year old really wasn't around him that much so it didn't really affect him. We just keep to our own thoughts about daddy.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Both my parents are gone. Only my oldest remembers them. I talk about them all the time. Just the other day, my Son said he really liked Root Beer and I told him, "That is cool that you like root beer because your grandpa LOVED root beer!" I also remind the kids of the stuff that my parents bought them before they past away, and say stuff like "isn't it cool that Nana/Grandpa loved you so much and they bought that cool thing for you?" Its been about 18 months since they past away so we still have lots of toys and even some clothes that they bought.

I want them to remember my parents the best they can, so I am trying to reinforce happy memories in their minds. For me, only time is healing my broken heart. I still occasionally wake up in tears because I have had a dream about them, or something reminds me of them. Those weepy days are fewer and farther between

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I lost my favorite cousin who was my best friend just last year. My daughter is three and she babysat her for me. She loved her so much. When she died just last year (only 35). My daughter asked about her and I told her she is gone to live with Jesus and we will see her when we get there. She asked if she is coming back or can we go live with Jesus. I tell her she is not coming back right not we are going there but we cannot go right now. Eventually she stopped asking but when ever she did I told her the same thing every time. .
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'm struggling with kind of the same thing, I lost both my parents within a 5 months span 4 years ago, and now I'm having my first child. I'd like for my baby to know about her grandparents, but not sure how to introduce it..or if it really matters... to anyone but me.
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 4:58 PM on May. 1, 2009