Did you keep your maiden name?

I hyphenate my name and my son has both of our last names. If you did keep yours, what were the reasons? If you didn't did you just do it because of tradition or another reason? No bashing please, I'm just genuinely curious.

feministmama

Asked by feministmama at 8:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• for me it was never a question of taking my husbands name. i took his name, b/c of tradition. each person has their own view on that sort of thing, so its not my place or anyone elses as far as i'm concerned to decide what is best for someone else
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Nope! Love being Mrs. Stewart ;-)
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 8:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'll answer my own question.... I kept my last name because I liked it and I didn't want to give it up after 27 years of living with it. It probably has a lot to do with my late father too, I wanted to keep his name. I gave my son both of our names for the same reason.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 8:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well my maiden name is Frampton and people in school constantly asked if my dad was Peter..
    lol happy to give it up...... :-)
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 8:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I took his last name. No need to keep my own.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I kept my maiden name just because I simply chose to, there was really no actual reason. My husband say's it's okay because he knows who his wife is! I have in fact caught a lot of %&it for it too! I had a D&R officer accuse me and my husband of not being legally married and having a married couples fishing license. He actually had the gall to separate us and quiz us on our wedding details, and asked if our children where illegitimate!!!!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I kept my name. My mother kept hers. I have both my parents' names. My husband and I are debating our children's last names, since we don't want to saddle them with 3 last names.

My position is that when only the father's name is passed onto the kids, the mother's legacy is lost. The "tradition" of having the wife take the husband's name is based on a transfer of property. As my children are just as much a part of me as my husband, I believe my name should be included.

His position is that it's tradition, regardless of origin, and it would be emasculating to have the child not have his last name.

We have 5 months of debating to go. :)

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 8:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Busimommi- Have you thought to give your name as a middle name?

As for me, I took my husband's name. I don't think it was so much tradition as much as it was that's what I wanted.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 8:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I got rid of mine as quick as I could, I didn't want to have a child molester's name.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 8:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I did change my name but only to have the same name as my son. I hated my maiden name but will be changing my last name again soon along with my sons.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2009