Is this music appropriate for kids?

We got Happy Meals the other day with the new KidzBop cd's inside. There are 5 songs on the disc we got.

Superstar
With Love
Chariot
Since U Been Gone
KidzBop World

If you know the lyrics to these songs, what do you think about kids listening to them?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• i would hope that it being kids bop it would be age worthy.since u been gone is a good song.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't know if you heard of the song lollipop by lil wayne, but kidz bop remade it and it was very inappropriate for kids even if they did reword it! So I suggest sampling it first!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My girls love the kids bop cd's and I have never had a problem with any of the songs but it's personal opinion.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't think any pop songs or other genres that talk about relationships between 2 people is kid appropriate. They can't relate to that and when they sing along, they have no idea what it really means. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all there is out there unless you listen to Christian music (which is all that's ever on in my car so I don't have to sensor songs) or actual kid songs like nursery rhyme songs...and what parent wants to listen nursery rhyme songs all day?

bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 8:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• The kidsbop cds changes the lyrics in the songs that are not kid friendly. Listen to them, all the cuss words, sex talk world, drug words are changed.
    - www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 9:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would say as a parent you have your own responsibility to your children to be the one responsible for what they listen to. So my suggestion is for you to listen to it and make your own decision. I am not one of those parents that shelters my kids from all the horror and evil, because it is a part of life, I think it is more important to discuss things with them. So some of those songs may say something but being in love is a natural part of life and sometimes, listening to two people sing about that, is a praise! Now if it is talking about sex and drugs to an extent, which is not age appropriate, you need sensor that. So anyway...those are my two cents. I too listen to Christian music mainly, but I also listen to country and we all know what those lyrics can be about. Just throw it away if you have any doubts. Your not really out anything.
    GidgetBalthazor

Answer by GidgetBalthazor at 9:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i agree with the one poster who said any pop song isnt appropriate. It irks me that these little kids are singing songs about loving a boy or girl or relationship stuff. The only music i let my kids listen to in the car or at home are either the backyardigans lol, or some country music. I do turn a few songs off.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 9:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It is your personal opinion of what you feel is best for your child. DS is 3 and has 2 of those cd's now from McD and he loves them. Music is a big thing in this family. We don't listen to gangster rap, but everything else is fair game. They hear country, rock, pop, jam bands all sorts.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I personally hate kidzbop.
    BUT, Since Youve Been Gone is a great song, I see nothing wrong with that. As for the others, Ive never heard of them.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my 4 year old picks what music he likes out of what i listen to-- just like any kid does with his/her parents, as far as i know. i have such a wide variety in my taste in music, that he has plenty to choose from. i listen to everything from ella fitzgerald, doris day, and judy garland, to nine inch nails, ministry, and the butthole surfers. my son's favorite songs right now are by david bowie, spongebob, and peter gabriel. i do know that there are some things i don't need to listen to when he is within earshot, so i save those for my me time. as for the kidzbop-- i think that stuff is a waste of time. take the time to let your kids listen to the original songs, filtered by you. why shelter your kids from that stuff when they are going to hear it eventually anyway, and at some point, make their own decisions on what THEY like...
    westleysmom

Answer by westleysmom at 12:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2009