Can your kid (s) go to public school W/out being vaccinated?

I thought it is a requirement in public schools and daycares? Even the Wic office makes you show a up to date blue shot record.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes....in MA they can.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes, you just fill out a form stating why you don't vaccinate, ie religious or personal reasons.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• They will tell you it's mandatory but you can fill out a religious exemption (even if it's not for religious reasons) that's what I had to do when I refused to get my kids the chicken pox booster.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Depends on the state. Some states don't accept the religious or personal reasons exceptions when it comes to public schools.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well in my state I couldnt even get a shot record from the health dept b/c, one set wasnt on their. Only b/c, the shots werent done there. Kinda crazy though,,,
    Anonymous

• Every state offers religious exemptions from vaccinations; you need to check with the board of health for your state.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• All states accept religious expemptions... see the first entry in the BIll of Rights. Most accept personal reasons. HOWEVER, the people at your local school (or any other place) will be poorly educated or just plain not want to be helpful. The easiest thing to do is to go to your state's website and find the needed form there. This lets you bypass the uneducated and/or unhelpful people at the office. WIC can not force you to vaccinate. That's like not helping you unless you circumcise your son. They can not force you to have any medical procedure performed on your child without a court order.

And yes, I vaccinate my child. But incorrect info irritates me.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Yes, your kids can go to school without being vaccinated but if there is an outbreak of, say, measles or chicken pox, they can be barred from attending until the outbreak is over. Unvaccinated children can be carriers and never get the disease.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• EVERY state allows for exemptions... you just have to fill out a form & turn it in. Done deal.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Nope, not a requirement. Strongly recommended but not forced.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009