At what age is too old to spank a kid?

My daugh is 12, we still spank sometimes. (NOT BARE BUTT THOUGH) Do you think she is too old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• 26. haha. I think I only spanked both kids a handful of times, and probably not past the age of 4 or 5. I think I just didn't have to after that. What I was trying to do worked.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My kids are 8, 11, 7. I still spanked when needed. I use a paddle though so, I get my point across.
    Anonymous

• When they outgrow you, you kick them in their butts! HA HA! At that age, I started to take things away and ground them. Works better...
    Anonymous

• We believe that striking another human being is a violent act and that spanking a child sends the message that sometimes violence is the solution to a problem. Violence is NEVER the answer.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• We believe that striking another human being is a violent act and that spanking a child sends the message that sometimes violence is the solution to a problem. Violence is NEVER the answer

I so agree.......
    Anonymous

• around 10.... after that you should no longer need to spank. Plus taking away there favorite toy/game/item hurts them a lot worse then a spank on the ass. 7 days of know game boy or tv has to be the worst punishment ever for my kids.
    - www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 8:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Way to answer the actual question there, rkoloms! *rolling eyes*

My thought is that if you are wondering if she is too old, it might be time to look into other discipline techniques?

Mine are still quite young, and they do receive a swat on the butt every so often if it's warranted.

I do remember there coming a point where my parents spanking me was having no affect at all. I think you'll see when it's not working any longer and that's when it's time to move on.
    Anonymous

• I would say by 6 years old. They are old enough to be reasoned with and don't need to be spanked. I have an almost 13 yr old and I would NEVER spank him, ever. I haven't spanked him since he was about 4. I don't need to and spanking never had an affect on him. 12 is way too old to be spanked. All you are doing is teaching your child to fear and dislike you. Try TALKING to her about why her behavior is inappropriate and what she can do instead or have her tell you what she could have done instead.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree with trfry7496, 12 is too old and try talking her through it. What she did, what could she have done differently BUT I do not think that is all that should be done. There still needs to be some kind of consequence for wrong actions.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• After birth. Before that spank them all you want.

There are more productive ways of disciplining kids.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009