At what age is it safe to use hand sanitizer on my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't do it until you're sure baby won't be putting her/his hands in her/his mouth. I've heard of kids getting REALLY sick from the alcohol in hand sanitizer.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• As long as the sanitizer DIRES on their hands they're fine. If you're worried buy some alcohol-free sanitizer from the store. Most have some.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• There was recently a story of a mommy who was camping with their family and decided to pretty much bathe the baby in hand sanitizer and it killed the baby from the alcohol absorption...I would just stick with soap and water. That way you're teaching them the proper way anyway, and if you're out just use a baby wipe. Better safe than sorry.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster, it is toxic to babies.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• no age. It is very toxic.

Why does your baby need sanitizer?? Use wipes that are unscented and organic. I am VERY careful what I put on my sons skin. No lotions and very baby friendly baby soap. The skin is our largest organ and it absorbs poison. Look at ingredients and question what you put on your child.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Wipes don't kill germs
    Anonymous

• Wipes don't kill germs

OK then use soap and water...sanitizer only kills like 10% of germs anyway. You can't replace soap and water. but really what is your baby getting into that's full of germs?? You clean the toys don't you and she's not wiping herself....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2009