can anyone tell me why it costs sooo damn much to adopt a dog?!

These are rescue dogs, homeless. There is such promotion into finding theese animals a home so they dont get put down ect. But they all want adoption fees of $285 and up. I can buy a non recuse dog for that. I think this is a little counterproductive. Am I alone in that thought?

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pets

• Where in the heck are you looking? I found mine on Petfinder.com, in Kentucky. He was 30.00. Go with a private shelter, they are less expensive!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree. My shelter charges $60.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i have been looking on petfinder.com
    all the pet adoption agencies here are rediculously expensive and wont do payments
    ugh
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No you can;'t buy a non-rescue dog for that usually....it's to support the shelter. They don't get gov't funding...it goes by donations ONLY...plus it INCLUDEs spay/neuter, microchip and shots....you can't get that at a stupid petstore and if you buy elsewhere, that's the cause you're supporting...Youre doing a good thing by adopting....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• it also sounds like if you're looking on petfinder.com that you might be going thru a purebred rescue group....just go to your pound, where they kill them and save a life. It'll be much cheaper too.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Do you have a Humane Society where you live? I don't know how much those cost... Maybe around $75 or something...Good luck.
    jbishop928

Answer by jbishop928 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I agree the prices are outrageous to adopt a rescue dog. I was looking at my local adoption centers and they wanted well over 250 almost 300 If they are going to charge that much they should do it as a donation not a requirement. We ended just going to a shop. And paid less.
    Anonymous

• I got my dog for 75.oo this included shots, neuter, microchip, health exam, and 1 weeks supply of food. I would go to petfinder.com, you type in what you want to pay and where you're located, ect. and the hook you up with what's there. If they let you have the dog free then they can't afford to take in more dogs and rescues. If I had bought mine from a pet shop, he would've been a couple hundred...THEN a few hundred to get fixed, about 80.00 for shots, a couple hundred for the micro chip, 65.00 for the health exam...ect. It really comes out WAY CHEAPER when you break it down.

babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 3:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Many of these places have already paid to spay or neuter the animal and provide it with shots and medical care. Rescue programs are generally funded by the volunteers and by donations and adoption fees. Most breed rescue programs can also provide more information on the specific animal and help make sure it is a good match for your family. I was looking into an Akita rescue program before I got pregnant with DD....$350 is a lot less expensive than Akitas generally go for and I would have also been taking in an animal that someone else had abandoned.
    Breed rescues have their place. No, they aren't as cheap as a shelter, but if you are looking for a specific breed they aren't a bad way to go either.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 3:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Make sure you know what you are buying: we got our cat for $30 at the Humane Society. He came with a carrier, collar, microchipped, all shots, neutered, and a free exam at the local vet. If the rescue groups are charging a lot, find out what you are getting for that money. If you buy a puppy at a pet shop or from a private breeder, you will have to pay out of pocket for the chip, spay/neuter & vet check & that adds up REAL fast. You may find that it is actually cheaper to rescue. I agree--I thought the costs at some shelters were really high until I found out what you actually get for that money. Plus, a lot of shelters/rescues spend time with the animals so they know if they are good with kids/cats/dogs. The pet shops don't do that.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2009