How can I help my son (at home) to talk?

My son is one and a half years old. He says clearly the words mama, dada, and he once clearly said the word no. Aside from that he hasnt said much of anything, but he crys, points, hold his hands up in the air to show us somethin or when he wants to be pick up, when he does things he knows hes not suppose to he'll look at one of us and we'll either shake our heads no or say the word no, and he useally listens and carrys on with something else. Any ideas that would help get him saying more words would be VERY helpful! Thanks to all in advance!

Stacy712

Asked by Stacy712 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get him around children his own age. Somehow children learn better from other children than even speech therapy.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• if its not something he needs, than ask him to say the word. as long as he actually tries give it to him. this is what our speech therapist had us do for my daughter and it started to work. try not to do it over food unless its a snack food and you know he doesn't need it b/c then it turns into a battle of wills. but toys, movies, being picked up etc...are things that won't be bad if he doesn't get it right away, its hard but it worked after about 2 months my daughter started using the words on her own w/o promting from us
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• when he points whine or crys for something YOU GET IT WRONG so like you might know he wants his milk but play silly and get say a pickle... MAKE HIM SAY IT or else you just can not figure it out :)
    If by age 2 if you are concerned about his speech development still... call your county for an early intervention screening they can send Speech PT OT PHN right to your house for any services which they feel he lags greater then 12 months behind
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• ^^ Be careful about refusing to get him something until he talks. If there's an actual reason why he's not talking, that could be really frustrating for him. My daughter has low muscle tone, so she has been rather delayed in her speech.

You might want to work on signing with him. Also just play with him a lot (I'm sure you already do this) but things like pointing out pictures in books, taking a car and saying Go go go, stop stop stop, etc. those things can help a lot. I also agree the exposure to peers and children slightly older, can help a lot.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• We started saying everything. Like feet or shoes, hands, hat to everything we touched or held, or anything he plays with, etc. He has an older brother who helps with things to. He is now 13 months and were told at his 1 year check up that in the next several months his vocabulary will take off. He already says, dada, moma, ock (for socks), asses (glasses), cup, so we may sound funny but we just repeat items all day long.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Since you are in CA, try contacting your local First 5 office and seeing if you can have him evaluated. Even if you can't (or don't want to) they will have suggestions. It's free.

http://www.first5kids.org/
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I bought picture books. Every night before bed, we would look through the books and I would name everything we seen. Before I knew it my son was repeating every word I said. Good luck. Every child learns at their own pace.
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Was he an early walker? If so, he may be a delayed talker. They get too busy to stop and chat. Our FS started walking at 9 mos. He pointed, grunted etc, so he knows what he wants. We put him in speech therapy at 22 months (wasn't saying anything), they said a LOT of boys don't talk until their 2nd birthday. Well, ours is now 25 months and beginning to say some words, some more clearly than others. I, too, think that if you frustrate him, it will backfire.I think it's too early to worry, but if you want to have ECI evaluate him to give you peace, it would be well worth it. It was comforting to know that since he could express himself enough to get his needs met, that really it was waiting until he was ready. Our FS is super smart, very physical & strong, climbs, does puzzles well above his age, problem solves like nobody's business, so the speech was the only thing he was delayed in. If it were alot, it'd be different. GL
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Have you had his hearing tested? Many of the children that have speech delays have had repeated ear infections and constantly have fluid in their ears. During the early years when speech and language development occurs a child must be able to hear speech sounds clearly. While you are having that done, check and see if you have an organization called Birth to 3 in your state. If he qualifies, they will come to your house and give him speech therapy.
    I agree that he needs to at least attempt to say what he wants. It could be that he can't, but he can make some sort of vocalization. When he points or takes you to something say to him, "what do you want?" " You want a drink?, say drink." Wait for a verbal response. You might also teach him some simple signs. I taught my daughter eat, drink, cookie, more. She really did us the signs (especially more) to communicate before she could talk. Lessens frustration!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• not sure where u live someone said california? we live in indiana but surley its the same.... noggin is a childrens channel that goes with nick. if u alow ur children to watch tv this has really helped with our just now 3 yr old. it will help teach them different things and they always ask for u to lay along. we watch it with our children and help get them to go along. my son even speacks spanish from it! hope it helps
    sarastorer

Answer by sarastorer at 9:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2009