Is it wrong for me to regret getting married because I think my 15 year old stepson is a sociopath?

I have been with my husband for almost ten years now and got married 3 years ago. His 15 year old son came to live with us two years ago. My stepson lies constantly, sometimes for no reason, and is manipulative and seems to have no conscience. He's also strange. His older sister (now 20 and on her own) came over a couple of months ago and they got into an argument. He ended it with "Now you're on my murder list!" He wasn't joking when he said it. I have caught him being mean to the dogs and he has no friends. My teenage son who is also 15 puts up with him in a very patient manner considering what he has to deal with. I am fed up because my husband is burnt out and doesn't want to deal with it so leaves me to do everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• wow i remember your post from before, you have a daughter too right? maybe youre a different poster. anyway i would take him to counseling and see what the psychiatrist says, tell the psychiatrist that he is very manipulative and if you have proof of his behaviors like pictures hes drawn or even his murder list bring that too
    Anonymous

• Wow that's kinda disturbing. I agree, take him to counseling. Hope everything turns out okay for you and your family.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He is in counseling which doesn't seem to be helping and his "murder list" is in his head and not written down. I sometimes feel like I'm serving a jail sentence until he turns 18 and is legally an adult.
    Anonymous

• your husband needs to step up and do something about it you cant take this all on board yourself you have your own kids to worry about and try and keep them safe from this type of behaviour i think its great he has conselling because even though you have been with your partner for along time this boy have only been living with you for 2yrs and that has to be hard on him aswell some kids take change really hard and he is probably doing alot of this for attention from his dad i think it is stink that his own dad is to burnt out to care about what his son is up to all does your husband hear you moaning about him too much that he just burnt out from hearing you put down his son. whatever this boy is doing you have to be patience and just love him and the way you have described him on here i really hope you dont let those feelings show to him and yeah he might be weird and mean but he is just a kid still show him how to treat other
    Anonymous

• Well, follow your gut instinct, if you feel trap and hopeless probably you are. Your DH needs to step up to the plate and you need too because you are allowing this child's bad influence to be near your biological son. A murder list written or not is a major thing, I wouldn't be able to sleep, what about if my biological son or me is in this list?

If your Dh isn't willing to deal with it, I say run for your safety. You have tried and is not working, so protect yourself and let the dad deal with his troubled child.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He doesn't need counseling he needs a phyciatrist. If this is a mental disorder then he can't help it, and he most likely needs meds, which only a trained phyciatrist can do. My 17 year old was just diagnosed Bi-Polar and it hasn't been easy (his came out of nowhere 2 months ago) so I have been researching and your step son has some serious problems. If dad won't step up then you do it, he isn't disposable, even if thier are days where you wish he was. GET HIM TO A PHYCIATRIST!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Good Luck on this one. I have personally been in a similar situation with my own stepson. Without any help from the dad you probably are in a dead end situation. All I can advise you to do is Pray. & I'm not a holy roller either.
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 5:45 PM on May. 2, 2009