ADD med - Aderall

Just wondering if anyone has some feedback on Aderall, one of the meds used for ADD. Pros and/or cons please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• you might get a better idea on ADD/ ADHD meds if you find groups, type ADD and ask, it is alot of moms that deal with this issue... you will find alot of support and answers.

I dont know a whole lot about this med,my son has never been on it but other moms from the group call it the angry pill while others have great success with it. All meds are different in how your child will react to it. I hope you get some more useful answers..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My son was on that and I hated it. He never had an appetite and lost about 15 lbs that he didn't need to loose. He was also angry. We switched to Vyvanse and it is awesome. He has an appetite, even after taking his meds, he gained weight, about 8 pounds in 2 months!!! I highly recommend Vyvanse, it seems to have less side affects and works great. I would also like to say that what works for one child may not work for another. You may have to try a couple different meds until you find the right one, it took us 3 of them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My DD was on this and I swear she turned into the DEVIL CHILD. OMG !!!!!!!!!!! I had to hold her down one night as she might have hurt herself or others. It was horrible. We have tried other meds one was a patch that tore her legs apart literally. She had an infection that even the Doctor was concerned about. Now we have gone a new route. Fishoil/ omega 3. We get it at the GNC in town. Be sure to get the one that tastes like strawberries. We found out the hard way. Some of that stuff is nasty. But, one in the am and one at pm works for us. She is calm and focused also lowering the amout of sugar intake worked for us as well we try to give her foods with less than 10g of sugar. It works for us . But, of course check with your Doctor about it.
    mommarykaje

Answer by mommarykaje at 11:15 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My 11 year old is on Aderall and has been for 2 years. It's the only ADHD medication she has been on that hasn't completely changed her personality. She did lose a little weight but not much. Her appetite did change a little bit, but only because she was no longer looking for things to do (eating because she was bored)--she could concentrate on one thing and not jumpo from thing to thing.
    All children (even adults) react to medicines differently. Ask the doctor!
    kgck_momma

Answer by kgck_momma at 2:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My husband (FINALLY diagnosed about 5 years ago) takes this. He does get some stomach issues.
    Before trying chemical solutions, or in tandem with them, I would urge you to take the following steps. First, find a therapist who will help your child learn to use ADD/ADHD as a benefit. Syndicated radio host Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this, information is here: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    Next, there is a huge body of evidence linking behavior to foods and chemical additives. the Feingold organization is the best source of this information: www.feingold.org.
    Finally many kids, including our daughter, are helped by supplementation. Fish oil caps are what we used; the kids version by Nordic Naturals.
    Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• My son has ADHD and has been on Aderall since he was 6. My DH is ADD as well, and is also on this medication. We tried others (Strattera, Ritalin, etc,,), but the Aderall worked the best. He started at 5 mg, and now takes 25 mg extended release. Since he has been on it, he has been able to concentrate in school and has excelled. He is 12 now, gets checked once every three months. He does have some appetite issues when on it, but he doesnt take it on the weekends or during summer break. It works great for him!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 12:12 AM on May. 3, 2009