Hard round red ball in daughters belly button

My daughter is 11 months old. Tonight in the tub I was washing her belly button and there was a hard ball in it. I looked at it closer and it was red. When we got out of the tub and I was changing her diaper - I touched it and she jumped up like she was in pain. Anyone know what it is ? Do I need to go the pediatrician tomorrow ? Or sooner ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would take her tomorrow if they can get you in. If not when they can take you make an appointment. If its not leaking fluid, puss or bleeding she should be fine until you get her to the doctor. If you notice the area becoming redder and inflamed then take her asap or notice the area is really warm then its a sign of infection.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• did you put anything on it like neosporin? since it hurts at the touch, I might call the dr., but thats just me! it might be nothing serious!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• sounds like an umbilical hernia-- if it is soft and pushes in easily... and she is pooping call the dr in the am about the new finding-- if it is hard and hurts her or she hasn't been pooping you need to go to the ER that could be an incarcerated hernia which requires surgery rather quickly
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It's more than likely a hernia! Call peds 2morrow for apt. Don't know how to soothe, I suffered with mine until it was corrected. But see if infant motrin cld bring some relief!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• call a doc and ask to speak to a nurse were im from (n.h ) we have ask a nurse they will talk to u get info and if concerned will tell u to go to the er. or at least what to do and what to look for. hope she gets better and its nothing xo keep us posted.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my daughter has a ball looking thing that pops outta her stomach when she laughs or crys...i am still tryin to figure out what that is.
    Cyarasmom

Answer by Cyarasmom at 9:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I just laid her in bed. She has been pooping - but she seems to be straining when she does. It's kind of hard and it did bothered her when I touched it. It's not leaking anything. I didn't put anything on it or give her any meds - she seems fine if it isn't touched.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like an umbilical hernia to me as well as some of the above posters. If she is pooping and not in pain unless you touch it- you can probably wait until morning to call the doctor. But I would call the doctor first thing. If it gets any worse- go to the ER!!! A hernia is when the intestines find a gap and they poke through the gap. Some are no big deal- but they can get pinched or "strangled" and lose blood flow- so it can be a serious problem. So I would definitely watch it now and get her seen sooner than later.
    Anonymous