For where two or three are gathered in my name I am among them

Matthew 18:20. Does that mean if only one person is praying God is not with us? I know I am picking apart the bible but when a passage is quoted I look it up and then I get curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• well thanks for helping me out. I get so irritated with pissed off atheist having to debunk the Christian Bible. The question is getting closed since certain people are more interested in proving Christianity wrong than letting a discussion going.

Start you own post about Thomas post hijacker!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• These words of Jesus follow his discussion of the procedure that should be followed if a servant of God has a major “fault” to take up with his brother. (Verses 15-17) This could lead to the charge being taken up by the “congregation” in that the matter would come before the responsible brothers in the congregation for review and judgment. If the charge was proved true and sufficiently gross, with the individual showing no repentance, the result would be that this one would be considered as “a man of the nations and as a tax collector.” He would be disfellowshiped. All of this, of course, would require deliberations. And these deliberations are what Jesus had reference to in verses 18 to 20.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Sounds similar to a passage in the Gospel of Thomas:

(30) Jesus said, "Where there are three gods, they are gods. Where there are two or one, I am with him."
    Anonymous

• ANON:Sounds similar to a passage in the Gospel of Thomas: (30) Jesus said, "Where there are three gods, they are gods. Where there are two or one, I am with him."

So do you think Thomas meant that Jesus called his followers gods?

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I do not understand that at all. I have and right now I am reading 15-10 which talks about reproving another who sins.

15If another member of the Church sins against you go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you you have regained that one.16 but if you are not listened to take one or two others along with you so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If the member refused to listen to them, tell it to the church, and if the offender refused to listen even to the church let such a one be to you as a gentile and tax collector. 18truly I tell you if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered in my name I am there among them.
    Anonymous

• Sounds similar to a passage in the Gospel of Thomas: (30) Jesus said, "Where there are three gods, they are gods. Where there are two or one, I am with him."

Thanks and you are more than welcome to read and live by the book of Thomas. I personally do not. I trust the books that were put into the Cannon guided by the Holy Spirit. I am not saying you should belive this, but adding the book of Thomas does not explain anything. Please, if you want to discuss the book of Thomas start a spin off question.  I really do want to learn and talk about this. Adding Thomas to the discussion is a side track not an interpretation of Mathew.

Anonymous

• boy I got confused for a min. the Gospel of Thomas the doubter? where are you reading this? Not that I would believe what it says but I am curious.

As for the scripture by the OP... you need to read it in context... It is just saying when you come together He is there. It never says otherwise that he isnt there when just one person prays. You need to think about the rest of the bible the many times people have prayed by themselves to God. There are a zillion instances.
    All this is saying is to encourage being in agreement with each other and especially when a brother sins ( previous passage) .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• So do you think Thomas meant that Jesus called his followers gods?

I'm not the one who posted that little bit but yes.  Jesus did refer to us as being gods - um, because we are.  We are God made manifest. 

As to the OP, it is true that when there are more than one praying for a desired outcome that GOD answers quicker.  It sort of goes along with The Law of Attraction, when more people focus on something it's more likely to send "The Law" into motion. 

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

I'm not the one who posted that little bit but yes. Jesus did refer to us as being gods - um, because we are. We are God made manifest.

OK, thanks, I personally don't believe the book of Thomas is inspired (yes, I have read it) because of his claim that Jesus (as a child) was cruel and crippled the hand of another boy, mainly because from the Gospel accounts Jesus didn't receive the power of the Holy Spirit until his Baptism... He was just a "Normal" little boy.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Ah, yes, well that is referred to as the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. I don't know how much "faith" I would put in that either. Although, it wouldn't surprise me to know that Jesus was a bit confused in his childhood years.

But the Gospel of Thomas is just a collection of writings that Jesus taught his disciples before his crucifixion and they are pretty enlightening stuff.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:25 AM on Apr. 30, 2009