F'd Up Big Time On Formula!

Ok so I have been feeding my dd solids on and off since she turned 5 months.. She really didnt start liking them til now. She'll be 6months on the 4th. Anyways I was reading lastnight that her formula intake should not go down since she's eatin solids, so today I wrote down everything she ate and what time. WELL I JUST LOOKED AT MY PAPER, AND MY POOR BABY ONLY HAD 12 OZ OF FORMULA!!!! I FEEL SO BAD! I FED HER SOLIDS MORE THAN A BOTTLE! :( I DID IT BACKWARDS. I GAVE HER SOLIDS THEN A BOTTLE BUT BY THE TIME SHE ATE THE SOLIDS SHE DIDNT WANT HER BOTTLE! IS SHE GONNA BE OK? I'LL START IN THE MORNING WITH BOTTLE FIRST AND THEN A SOLID! GOD I FEEL HORRIBLE!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its okay honey you dont have to do everything by the book
    Anonymous

• I dont see anything wrong with what you did... if she tolerated it and is growing and gaining weight and otherwise healthy what's the big deal?? I mean calcium intake needs to be looked at but other then that??
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• They say no less than 20 oz a day. We give our daughter half her bottle, then her food then the rest of her bottle. After her morning nap she gets another bottle then a snack if she is still wanting food. Then at lunch she gets half before and half after and then a nap and then a bottle and then the same with dinner and then one at night. She eats 3 meals and probably 4 snacks a day and if were lucky she gets 24 to 28 oz of formula.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Don't feel bad. This happens. There are going to be days when she eats more than has bottles. If she were hungry you would know it. Try giving her bottles atleast an hour after of her eating solids. And the bottles don't have to be so much either.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• As long as she's satisfied nothing else matters!!! I am impressed she prefers food so encourage it, don't hinder by being text book savvy.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No, you are doing fine, and she is OK! The only thing the book fails to mention is that her stomach can't be filled with solids and formula at the same time because she'll most likely be too full. You'll have to offer her a bottle after solids, but if she typically doesn't finish her 8 oz, then offer it about 30 mins to an hour later. You will eventually get on a routine. You do still want to do the solids first, though, because she won't be very interested in trying "new" things once her belly is full of formula, also because the bottle will probably make her sleepy. You are not a horrible mom, you are a wonderful mom learning by trial and error, just like everyone does. I am an avid book person, too, but just take it in stride. All babies are different, you are going to do wonderfully! Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• As long as it isn't an everyday occurance she's going to be fine. It would take months of her not getting the proper calcium and vitamins before effects would even begi to show up. Relax..give her part of the bottle first, then solids..then the bottle again. No biggie.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Itll be fine..some babies go without when they go on nursing strike or when theyre not feeling good....don't worry=)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Oh wow... your kid likes real food. Amazing! My son was on cows milk at 9 months and eating real food. He's very intelligent and advanced for his age. Give her the solids first, then the bottle. Make sure shes eating veggies, meat, and grains. She'll be fine.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• oh wow you are kidding. Are you truly that upset over such a minor issue??? Get some help... stat....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2009