Has anyone had a baby at 34-35 weeks gestation? and what problems did they experience if any?

engraham

Asked by engraham at 9:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My almost 3 month old was born at 34 weeks. He was a healthy 6 lb. He did have to go on oxygen early on, and experienced a partially collapsed lung within 24 hours of birth that got him transferred to a Children's hospital, however it corrected itself by the time the team from the Children's hospital arrived to transfer him. He spent a total of 2 weeks in the NICU. He's now a big healthy boy whose already doubled his birth weight!

My almost 15 month old, was born at 36 weeks, he spent a week total in the hospital between jaundice and sleep apnea, but once released experienced no further issues.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My 4th baby was born at 23 weeks. She weighed 1.5 lbs. & was 13 in long. She spent 2 1/2 mos in the NICU but has no lasting affects other than being a bit small for her age. She is 2 1/2 now weighs 20 lbs and wears 12 mos.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my sister in law had my first niece at 32 weeks.she weighed almost 5lbs.NO major problems.just need a lil oxygen at first.she stayed in the nicu for a lil over 3 weeks.She had my second niece at 33 weeks.She was a tad bit smaller at almost 5lbs.But she was only in the nicu for 3 weeks.The only problem with either of them now is asthma...you really cant even tell they was preemie.My best friend had her daughter at 35 weeks.SHe was almost 6lbs.ANd only stayed in the hospital for 1 week.SHe had a small problem with not knowing how to suck so they had to use a feeding tube in her nose til she got the hang of sucking but that was all.
    Anonymous

• my first was born at 30 weeks-- 4 pounds 10 ounces--- other then being small and having a little jaundice issue which required sun bathing and every other day trip to the dr to check her level (for like a month) she did not even need oxygen.... I did all natural birth though ...
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My second child (my 2nd boy) was born at exactly 35 weeks. He was 6lbs 4oz and 21 inches long. The only thing that made anyone aware that he WAS that early, was the fact his lungs were not developed. He stayed in the hospital for a week and after that was perfectly normal. He's now going on 7 years old and taller then his brother by an inch or two. I'm not sure that a baby born at 34-35 weeks really has any health concerns other then just the lungs are not developed completely, but they do give you a shot that helps them develop if they can not do anything to stop you from going early.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 10:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009