What to wear to a funeral now adays?

My SIL dad died today and I need to go and pay my respects:(

I have no idea what to wear I am a t/shirt shorts flip flop kind of girl can you help me out. Thank you so much....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Black blousse and black dress pants if your not into dresses ..
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Either black slacks and a nice dark shirt, or a modest black dress would be fine.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• gray is fine too if you don't have anything black and can't afford to get something, its really just supposed to be a darker color. and it doesn't have to be a dress like both the other posters said, something modest and dark in color
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear that. As far as what to wear, I would think as long as it is a darker color and business-casual it should be ok. I'm not sure. It kind of depends on what kind of people will be there. My best friend's brother died a year ago. He was really young and kind of into the punk scene, so many people wore what they would wear any other day, as that is how he would have wanted it. However, his parents and family were in very formal, black clothing. That's probably the safer bet.
    Anonymous

• I wore black dress pants and a white dress shirt to my mom's funeral. I don't wear dresses often and to me it seems sstupid to get all dolled up in something I wouldn't normally wear.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Funerals are so different these days than a while back. Anything presentable will be fine.
    Most people don't even wear black these days. When my brother passed away 3 year ago, I wore a flowerdy skirt and a peach top and nice sandles. A nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt would even work. As long as you're dressed descent, people aren't going to care. Heck, there were even a few people at my brother's funeral that he worked with and they wore shorts. My brother wouldn't of cared. Our family didn't even care. We were just happy to see them there. I wouldn't recommend shorts though ;)
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I normally wear something dark colored but not always black. I've been to funerals where people wear bright colors to celebrate the persons life rather then morn their death. I think the best thing to do is consider the type of family and what they prefer because everyone if different. You don't need to wear a dress though, just nice cloths :-)

babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 3:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I've been to so many funerals lately. I think it depends on the person. I have gone in dark jeans, heels and a pretty top (nothing at all flashy) and didn't feel at all out of place. I've also wore black skirt, dark top, tights and black boots and that was fine. All of my family and friends are blue collar people and some are lucky to own a pair of khakis let alone a suit or dress!
    Anonymous

• I personally would wear a dark color, unless every attendee was asked to wear something else to celebrate the life of the person who passed.

Black or navy blue would be fine. Make sure you're not showing cleavage, pants or skirt it doesn't matter as long as it fits well. Spring for a pair of matching ballet flats--Please don't go in your flipflops! (I've seen this happen and man oh man it was a baaaaad choice.)
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 5:43 PM on May. 1, 2009