Vaccine Help!

I want to fully not vaccinate my children. Can someone please help convince my DH, the doctor, and the nurses who have pushed against us even when we tried to delay shots? Also, can Medical Assistance force me to get my children vaccinated?

Kenre

Asked by Kenre at 10:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Health

• It is your choice no one can force you. They have paper work for you to fill out as to why your not doing it and you will have to provide that information when they start school as well. So if you don't want to no they can not make you.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• No, they cannot force you to vaccinate your children but there are risks associated with not vaccinating your children as well. With the DTP and MMR vaccines, the risks associated are seizures between 8-14 days after injection with no long term effects and only a 2.85% risk and a 95% approval rating. Measles has killed man y more people that the MMR vaccine. In Europe 150 unvaccinated children died of measles when they had an outbreak. Children under a year are susceptible, as they cannot be vaccinated and the incubation period for measles is between 7-21 days and the virus can stay in the air for more than an hour after the carrier has left the room. If you choose not to vaccinate that is your decision but if I were you I would at least get the MMR vaccine. How tragic it is to have children die of a disease when there is a vaccine available so readily and with miniscule risk.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 10:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Sorry, you won't get help from me, I believe in vaccines and my son is completely vaccinated. No one can force you, it is your decision. Would you rather have your child be vaccinated and have less than a 1% chance of something happening or would you rather your child get a disease that has been gone for over 30 years? It isn't just about your child when you choose not to vaccinate, it affects others children and families as well. Your child could be a carrier of measles or chicken pox and be spreading it to others and not even get the disease.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I vax but NO disease has been gone, it's just less.
    Anonymous

• 9:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 by:

* blakebrm

Thank you. I was never vaccinated. I lived through measles. Thanks for helping, though.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 10:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• blakebrm As a parent who has 2 children with seizures, I would not call having seizures miniscule!
    calaidisasmom

Answer by calaidisasmom at 10:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• 9:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 by:

* tyfry7496

If it's been gone for 30 years, then why do we still have to vaccinate? Wouldn't it be a moot point by now?
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 11:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You have to be vaccinated for public school, I am not sure if when you "opt out" for religious reasons you can still go to school. It's no problem if you home school. I would skip the Hep B and Chickenpox one and wait until baby is older for others. If you don't want to do it at all, I would totally understand. After much anguish and research (friend is an infectious disease scientist and several MD friends) I decided to do most. It's tough but don't do it if you're not comfortable, just tell the doc NO. Everyone is making money off those vaccines anyway. Makes you wonder....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I have seizures myself and I did not say having a seizure was a minimal risk. I said the RISK of a child GETTING seizures AFTER being immunized is miniscule. Read correctly.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 9:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2009