I just sprayed my entire living room with diluted vinegar....

I had read that a way to control fleas is to use vinegar, it is supposed to be a repellant. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this. I do not want to have fleas again like I did last year (I felt so dirty) We bombed the house like a thousand times, but they were still terrible. I am evicting the cats tomorrow (we live in the country and they are all adopted strays, they only come in the house to sleep, so they will be ok outside). Anyway, I don't want to use harsh chems b/c I am pregnant and I don't want the chems to linger after the baby is born. I do vaccume every day, but fleas thrive in the soil where I live. I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas, or if anyone has battled this before, and what did you do to get rid of them?

IzzysMommy87

Asked by IzzysMommy87 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pets

• I bet your house smells like douche
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I've never heard of using vinegar as a way to repel fleas. I think you should definitely evict the cats. I bought a powder carpet cleaner when we had issues last year. It works like the Arm N Hammer carpet powder. You sprinkle it on, wait about 30 minutes and vacuum it up. It worked well to get rid of the ones we had.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 10:17 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Buy a few cartons of cheap table salt. Sprinkle all over all of your carpets. Allow to sit 15-20 minutes, then vacuum up. Repeat daily. This will slow them so you can suck them up and keep them dead in the vacuum.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• lol yes, diamondmama......my living room does smell like douche right now....
    I tried pinesol, but it smelled like pee after it dried
    I will try the salt, I have done the powder, but I don't want to use chemicals now.
    Thank you all :)
    IzzysMommy87

Answer by IzzysMommy87 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't know what to tell you other than when I bought powder carpet stuff that they sell in th epet department at Walmart, it didn't work! It was specifically for fleas in the carpet. At the time all I had was hard wood floors and area rugs so I thought they would be easy to get rid of. Ha! I was wrong!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• We have one dog. and last summer we had such a bad flea problem you couldn't even sit on our couch without having one walking on you. We bombed our house. a bomb in each room. It got rid of most of them. but they still came back. I've started giving our dog a bath every 3 weeks, flea dropping her, powdering our carpets with this stuff I got in the pet department at walmart. It smells great, like apple cinnamon, you leave it on your floors for about an hour then vacuum. we haven't had fleas since i started that. I've also heard you have to get rid of them from your yard. but we never treated our yard. just the animal and our home.
    GL
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Hartz makes a furniture and carpet spray also that I use on top of the powder.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I,ve used DOVE DISHWASHING LIQUID, it kills the fleas and eggs,,delute with water and I,ve used it in my carpet cleaner.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Borax powder soap, put it on the rug, rub it in with a broom. The fleas eat it and die. Have you tried front-line for the cats? They can become anemic if the get more fleas and keep getting bit they also get worms from fleas. The worms grow in the fleas and when the cats chew the fleas and ingest them they get the worms too. Also extreme heat and cold will kill cats, especially if the are anemic from fleas drinking their blood so be careful and at least let them in in extreme weather.

babymomma0306

Answer by babymomma0306 at 3:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• yep I spray apple cider vinegar on my dogs coat to help repel fleas. Must work she's and we never have had fleas. I also give her garlic and vinegar in her food.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2009