My daughter is afraid of her potty

I put her undies on her at around 10am and she didn't have an accident or go potty until she woke up from her nap! she took a nap around 3pm. Woke up a little after 5...she fell asleep in her undies..still no accidents..yay right? no not yay..she woke up and told me that she had to go potty, so I put her on her new potty chair we bought her, and she started FREAKING OUT..so I started reading her potty book to her, and she stopped crying, but for about 3 minutes, every time I heard a few drops drip, she would freak out, and hold herself down there as if she was trying not to go pee. I tried calmly explaining to her that that is what is supposed to happen when she goes on the potty, and I would be sooo proud of her if she did, that calmed her down, so I asked her if she was ready to try again (the whole time she was still sitting on her potty) and she said yeah, so I told her to let go and go potty and we would read her book.

LuvinMyBoynGirl

Asked by LuvinMyBoynGirl at 10:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its something new and a new feelings as something has always caught it before she really felt it. Just reassure her its okay and show her you do it and make a big deal out of it each time until she is good at going.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• have you tried to use the grown up potty? i bought my daughter a potty chair and she has never used it. she is pretty much potty trained, i got her a seat that goes over the regular seat that way she can sit on that and not fall in. it may be more comfy for her to do the same thing mommy does.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• it didn't post my whole questions... here it is---so I started reading her book and she freaked out again! so I ended up just sitting with her and she was on it for a half hour, and finally went potty! yayayaya..I started cheering and clapping, which made my 10 mo old start clapping, which made alexis smile, so I told her how good of a job she did, and that I was soo proud of her! then I let her put a sticker on her potty chart we made...but a few minutes ago...it all happened again..she told me she had to go pee and when I put her on she freaked...I don't know what to do ladies! anyone else' children ever scared to go on the potty? any tips? please ladies, I'm at a loss..very frustrated.almost seems like she thinks she is going to get in trouble if she goes..
    LuvinMyBoynGirl

Answer by LuvinMyBoynGirl at 10:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• she's just not ready ... wait a month and try again... what's the rush?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• MELRN...she is ready, she refuses to let me put a diaper on her, she wants to wear her big girl undies, she is always telling me she has to go...she constantly goes and sits on her potty..its just actually GOING on it that's the problem
    LuvinMyBoynGirl

Answer by LuvinMyBoynGirl at 10:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• hmmm??? Toddler minds??? are you using the toilet or a potty?? maybe the sitting over the water thing is not sitting well with her?? .... and how about getting one of her dolls to sit and "make a pee pee" on the potty and when the doll is successful sing her the potty song and laugh... then maybe your daughter will try and you can have ANOTHER DANCE :) I'm just trying to make it fun
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• we're using a kids potty so there is no water under her..she has a baby that goes potty, and I put it on before I put her on it, we reward her baby when it "goes potty" like right now, she pulled down her undies, and is just sitting on it...she has no problem with that..it was just when the pee was trying to come out was when she was freaking out
    LuvinMyBoynGirl

Answer by LuvinMyBoynGirl at 10:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• this is the one we have

LuvinMyBoynGirl

Answer by LuvinMyBoynGirl at 10:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My girl wouldn't go near her potty for 4 months. She had no problem with the 'big girl' potty though. Maybe you should get an insert for the big potty and see how that goes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Could she have a bladder infection ? I babysit a little girl and when she had a bladder infection she was scared to use the potty because it hurt.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2009