My husband had a parotid gland tumor removed from his jaw.. bigger then a golf ball.. it was cancerous. He is having 6 weeks of radiation & the doctor says it is a low grade cancer.. What does that mean? What should I expect my husband to be like going through radiation?

I am really scared, my husbands father died of brain cancer 2 years ago and I am praying that this cancer can be controlled. Does anyone have any experience with cancer or parotid gland tumors that are cancerous? He also has a nodule on his thyroid that needs to be removed, I wonder if these are connected and if this is cancerous. We are waiting the biopsy results.

mermaidztail7

Asked by mermaidztail7 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Health

• he will probably be sick. So expect him to vomit and not be in the best of moods until his body adjusts to it. He will have good and bad days so don't take it to heart. He could be in the best of moods before hand and then a real ass after so be patient and just treat him like you would want to be treated. Expect him to be tired and sick for sure.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He will be sick, tired, no appetite. His hair may fall out. He won't be a very happy person for a while. He will vomit, get sores in his mouth. Just be there for him. It sounds like the cancer was caught early so he should have a good outcome. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• If they are saying low grade, I am not an encologist, but that sounds like it's not aggressive and they seem hopeful in having caught it this early. Radiation will cause burns on the skin, cause him to be tired (fatigue is an understatement) and he may not be able to keep food down.

The biopsy will be able to give you an exact idea of what you're dealing with, how to combat it and what course to take.

With my cancer it was only in my cervix and it was caught early. Now, my girlfriend's daughter is 13 and had cancer in her femur. Abby spent a year in with chemo and radiation, her hair fell out, she had burns on her skin from the radiation, they took the growth plate from her leg and put in a titanium pole. Abby was out of school for awhile and she was more worried about why she wasn't thin enough to be a cheerleader. She beats cancer and worries about peer pressure. Tough girl.

God be with you and yours.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I had thyroid cancer and had one round of radiation. My hair didn't fall out, that's chemo. I felt okay. No one can be around you though when you are having treatments, especially animals and kids. I don't know if I was tired but I was bored because I was all by myself, so I did sleep alot. The only big thing that I noticed after taking it was my hair was really dry and my skin was dried out. Good luck!
    Kenzies_mama

Answer by Kenzies_mama at 10:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2009