How can i get my 21/2y old grandson to stop spitting,pinching,hitting,and telling me to shutup.

When we try to disapline my 2 1/2y old grandson he will spit at me, pinch,hit and tell us to shutup. None of my kids or 3 other grandson were ever this way.I really dont know what to do and it is a big prob. in the houes.( where he and his mother live).

ladybug2458

Asked by ladybug2458 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My grandmother taught me to just hug them and kiss them and tell them "that's not nice". Someone has to teach him that's bad behavior. It's a shame you can't get him away from the source that's teaching him that. If he hits then gently grab his hand to stop him and tell him "no" , same for pinching. The "shut up" thing might be more difficult due to his age but I'd try the "that's not a nice thing to say" and see if it helped. I'm guessing someone thinks it's funny and encourages it, probably laughing at him so he gets attention and continues it. It's so confusing when ppl do that to small children but you can teach him not to act that way at your house.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• SPANK him, NOT hard, do not beat but spank and make him go to his room (make sure you have removed all toys, tv, radio, etc... or send him to a room without those things) tell him when he can behave properly he can come out. One thing to remember is children have (on the average) an attention span of one minute for every year they are old (i.e. his is about 3 minutes). That could be part of the issue.
    Anonymous

• I babysit my 2-1/2 year old grandson, 5 days a week. When he acts like that, it's 2-1/2 minutes in the time out chair...his time doesn't start until he's quiet. I do this as many times a day as necessary! Somedays it seems he'll never get it...but I keep at it....he does get it. Whatever punishment you decide to use, just stick with it EVERY time. It seems like alot of work...but after a few days of it over and over, he'll get it! Good Luck just hang in there and be consistant!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• oohh i'd beat his butt...my son bit me once, i gave him one good pop in the mouth and he's never done it since. so i say spank him. like the pp said, don't actually beat him, just give him a couple good pops on his butt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Every try sloshing him with cold water? I've done that a couple times when mine have sassed. It sure is a rude awakening! (I also agree with some of the other methods mentioned and have used them myself with some success.)
    TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 12:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• With my kids I did back to them what they did to me. Not hard, but about as hard as they did. All except the shut up thing. This is gonna sound terrible but here it is: White vinegar. It works for swearing and saying mean things. I put my finger in the botlle and swipe it down the center of the tongue. wait a few seconds then give them some milk. This doesnt hurt or cause blisters like hot sauce. It just tastes nasty. I went through a spurt of my now 7 yr old swearing like a sailor and speaking very meanly. After the first couple of swipes all i had to do was get the bottle out of the cupboard and sit it out where he could see it. I didnt have to say a word to him, I had tried about EVERYTHING before this and it broke a bad habit very quickly.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 1:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• At 2-1/2, for some reason, your grandson thinks he rules the world. Time to dethrone him. He's obviously gotten some desired results with this behavior, so whatever you are doing now - change it. Think in terms of teaching him what the world has in store for him. He needs to learn NOW that the world will not put up with this crap - that he will get the snot kicked out of him at daycare, OR conversely, be expelled from daycare because he's the one kicking the snot out of another kid - both unacceptable. Kids need to know where the fences/boundaries are. Some are fine if they can just see the proverbial white tape - but others, like Junior here, need an "electric fence". This is the border, Bub - you just crossed it, and it is decidedly NOT pleasant. Do not be afraid that this will make him hate you - on the contrary - it's what he needs & a demonstration of your love for him.
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 30, 2009