pointing

my son recently turned 1 and still doesnt point. SO and I always point at things, and I'll point at the "whatever" when reading a book for example, and ask "do you see the ___?"/ is this normal that he isnt pointing yet?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first two never pointed but my third does. It's normal.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• dont worry my son didnt really start pointing until 14-15 mo old..now he's 20mo & he still doesn't point A LOT. just sometimes
    Ms.JiggityJones

Answer by Ms.JiggityJones at 11:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It's sometime around 13, 14 months. Once he starts to point, be sure to use lots of words to describe what he points to... "Yes, I see the big brown dog. He has white spots and soft fur." Once a child starts to point, a language explosion will follow in a couple more months, help fuel it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• ok! SO and I always point. I point at pictures in a book and say "you see that cow? the cow goes moooo", or I point at our cat. SO always points "Look Sid! there's your favorite toy!" he definately takes it all in. Like the peek-a-boo game, out of nowhere oneday he started putting blankets over his head and starts the game with us! so i guess it's just a matter of time as long as we continue pointing. thanks everyone =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't be worried at 12 months, but if he isn't pointing by 18 months, mention it to the pediatrician. Does he look at objects when you point to them?
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 12:37 AM on May. 3, 2009