UGH FOOD EVERYWHERE!

So my five month old just lost his tongue reflex and practically demands his rice cereal/babies firsts food mix. I wanted to know what sort of routine he should be on now? Before he'd just drink 9oz every six hours (last bottle at 8pm before bed). Now he's eating his rice cereal at 6pm and just passing out at 7pm which leaves us less time to sleep in :[

Any advice? Are there times where I should feed him the rice cereal and how much should I cut back on the milk now? By the way he used to go to bed at 9pm and wake up at 8am.

ours

Asked by ours at 10:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try feding him a little bit later i feed my daughter a jar of fruit when she wakes upin the morning well about an hour after we get up then veggies around 2-3 she takes a nap then cereal around 8 and bed by 9 and she doesnt get up until 8-9 the next morning....
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Does she drink milk at 8 when you feed her the cereal?
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• about 1/2 a bottle after about an hour when she goes to bed i make her cereal with either formula or juice...
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You should not cut back on the milk... any solids given at 5 months should be in addition to breastmilk or formula, not a replacement for any of it. Keep up those regular feedings and add the limited solids in between.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Wow... you have your kid on a schedule? Feed him a little later, possibly only give him half a bottle at 6 and the other half at 7 with the cereal.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• He made his own schedule and it just so happened to suit us perfectly. :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:22 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I fed my first son every (4hrs) but started the solid food AT 7 MONTHS OLD because my son did the same thing... So I stopped it for a couple about a month until he was alittle older and I didn't have a problem after that..
    I would feed him The solid food for breakfast, lunch was milk and only 6 oz,after he would wake up from his first nap would give him alittle snack (fruit etc) dinner was solid foods and bedtime was milk only 6 oz.. He usually sleeped pretty good and only woke up one time a night..
    The time was different every day it all depended on when he woke up. But it seemed to work pretty good for him..
    Good luck.. It's an adventure for both of you :)
    truckchickie

Answer by truckchickie at 1:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2009