When should we start to get real worried about the SWINE FLU?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Are you concerned about the flu season every year? You know, that kills 36,000 people in this country annually?
    If you're not concerned about the normal flu every year, then there's not really any reason to care any more about this either.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 12:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• when you get it.
    Anonymous

• When you sprout a curly tail and your nose starts to turn upright.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• "When you sprout a curly tail and your nose starts to turn upright."

Yes, this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• IDK, but it just occurred to me that my ex lives in Texas and he wants my DD to fly out there during summer break. He lives near Houston. A few hours ago I said I would set it up for first of July.... now I am second guessing that!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Wow.... so many Smart-A$$ ladies answering Q tonight about the Swine Flu. Y'all are being Childish at best....

My answer: I think you should start to worry when there are confirmed cases near the town you live in. Right now I am in Georgia, so the nearest confirmed cases are a long ways away from me. On the other hand... my ex works with a lot of immigrant workers everyday over in Houston, so I am a little worried about my DD going to Texas.

Anonymous

• When it hits your area.
    Anonymous

• See, you don't have to be an anon to be a smarta**
    Anonymous

• Swine flu is a virus subtype denoted H1N1. Today the center for disease control has announced that swine flu will reach pandemic proportions (which just means a worldwide epidemic). What makes this virus so problamatic is the H1N1 subtype. Since no one has been exposed to a flu virus of this subtype we have no immunity built up to it so our body does not set up an immune response. Thus the virus will infect a cell, replicate and cause the cell to lyse releasing many more of these viruses which will then spread to other cells. In an infection that our body has encountered before B cells will be "waiting" for the infected cell to lyse upon which time they will injest and destroy the viruses. Say for example that swine flu was of the H1N2 subtype. Almost all of us have been exposed to the N2 portion and therefore our immune systems will act and produce antibodies faster for the H1 portion. There is some hope in that your.
    Anonymous

• oops.... I don't know why my 2nd response showed up Anon! I'm not afraid to say that the swine flu makes me a little nervous with my daughter planning a trip to where it is breaking out at.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009