Placenta tearing away from the wall @ 28 weeks

What does this mean? My friend sent me a text and said that she was in labor & Deliverygetting a steroid shot for the babys lungs and that her placenta was tearing away from her wall...what happenes with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When the placenta is tearing apart from the uterus wall its called placental abruption. (its usually caused by subchronic hematoma - a blood pocket) In that case an emergency C-section is being performed as the both the mother and the unborn baby are in fetal danger. There is no way that she will be allowed to have vaginal delivery as it would put her at risks on an intensive internal bleeding (she could bleed to death).
    Im sure she is monitored closely right now. If the placenta abrupt further the child will not get the necessary nutrition and oxygen.
    Good luck to her and her baby.
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 11:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• SHE NEEDS BED REST TOTAL TILL SHE STOPS BLEEDING AND NO LIFTING,MAYBE YOU CAN HELP HER OUT!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My sister had this with her 2 boys. I forget the medical term, but essentially they take the baby either c-section or induce labor because the placenta is tearing away from the uterine wall. The baby's lungs aren't developed all the way yet, so that's why they're giving her steroids. Probably what will happen, assuming everything goes alright during labor and delivery, is the baby will be in the NICU for at least 10 days to be sure everything is healthy. Your friend should be fine and recover just as if she had a normal delivery. They will watch her too, just to be sure there isn't any extra bleeding. Hope that helps!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• So she ill be having the baby tonight?!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 11:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• she'll possibly have the baby tonight.. and her baby will definitely be there quite a few weeks if she is only 28 weeks along.. her baby is viable but still very immature and young! good luck to her!
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 11:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I had a sub chor. bleed early in my pregnancy and very limited lifting especially, Thank God he is here and he is beautiful!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2009