Cries inconsolably (sp?)

My son is almost 7 wks old and for the last three wks cries inconsolably for hours on end beginning around 8:30 p.m.-almost 6 a.m. He rests for short periods of time at night...and he is awake during day hours as well. I had his ears checked last week, and the doctor checked to see if his throat might be red from a viral infection. All negative. HELP...I'm going crazy from lack of sleep. My body hurts from the pure exhaustion!

RoseLAnderson

Asked by RoseLAnderson at 11:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like colic. Haven't had the joy of it but good luck
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• You poor things...maybe something else is hurting him?? Is he gassy, does he have a fever?? Thats a tough one...are you BFing...if you are did you eat something bad?
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Only at night, huh? Well, try doing the bicycle with his legs to relieve any gas. Is his bed comfortable? Maybe he just is uncomfortable, or cold, or hot. Try different things. Is he getting enough to eat before he goes down? Try a warm bath before bed to soothe his tummy and muscles. Also, if he continues, and he's formula fed, you may want to talk to his Dr about switching formulas. He might have an allergy or food sensitivity that he notices more at night b/c he's not busy looking at things and being interested. My son had trouble with milk (I breastfeed) and so as soon as I eliminated dairy from my diet, his issues cleared up and he slept much better. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He is formula fed and we switched him to Enfamil Gentlease from Similac Advanced with Early Shield almost two weeks ago. He burps easier and is able to pass gas easier....but he is spitting up more than before we changed his formula. He isn't hot or cold b/c I've tried to wrap him up...take clothes off...I've done the bicycle with his legs. No fever...and he eats 6 oz just about every 3-4 hours. :-(
    RoseLAnderson

Answer by RoseLAnderson at 11:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Try Colic Gripe Water...worked wonders for my son and still does when he gets super fussy and nothing else will work to soothe him.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My sis in law swears by gas drops. I never used them. Colic usually happens at the same time every day/night. Thats what it sounds like. Check to see how big the hole in the nipple is, it should only drip out slowly when you turn the bottle upside down. Any faster will cause upset tummies and gas. Also make his formula a little warmer than usual. Then only feed him1/2 an ounce, then burp him. MAKE sure he burps before you feed him the rest of the bottle. This should help with the spitting up, and the gas. Also laying him along the legnth of your arm with the head by your elbow, and body running along your arm with the crotch area in your hand is very good position for colic babies. It puts pressure on the tummy and helps them feel better. Please let me know if any of this helps!!! I hope it does...
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 1:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• This is colic, sorry. It should be about 1/3 of the way through. Keep comforting your little one. You can try weak chamomile tea and lots of extra breastfeeding. Some babies are helped by drops, like by Hylands.
    Good luck!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Try Gripe Water (Something with Oil of Fennel and Sodium Bicarbonate in it). It worked wonders for my daughter. And then...do whatever you have to do to help him sleep. Lack of sleep is probably the number one reason for babies to cry...once they're overly tired it is harder to get them to sleep and harder to get them to stay asleep. Plus, it makes them very upset. =) Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2009