Under what circumstance should a baby stay on infant formula past the age of 12 months?

I'm NOT looking for a formula vs. breast debate...trust me, I've heard it all. And I'm not interested in formula-company bashing. I'm just looking for an answer to my question please.

The reason I ask is because my 10 month old is only weighing in at 16.5 pounds (born 8lbs 1 oz) and I'm afraid when I switch her to cow's milk, she won't get all the nutrients she needs from the cow's milk.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when you switch her to cows milk, no she won't get all the nutrients she needs from it. however she will also be on solids regularly and can get what she needs there. when you put her on reg milk is really between you and your doctor, thats not the kind of decision that needs to be made lightly considering that it is recommended that they start cows milk at age one. if your doctor says otherwise than that is whats best for your baby
    Anonymous

• My son was allergic to soy and dairy products. He stayed on nutramigen (only about 8oz/day) until he was 18 months old.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• only if the child is seriously underweight,...sounds like your child may need to, although if you do i suggest going to the next step formula. correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe they should be triple their birth weight by 1
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• They need to stay on formula if they are not eating a variety of nutritious foods, or if they can't handle milk. Cow's milk doesn't have all the nutrients they need, but if they are eating well otherwise, they'll be getting it from elsewhere.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I don't see why you can't keep her on it another year. Many women breastfeed for that long. Wouldn't it be the same thing? I would just give milk to her at meal times and formula the other times. I wean my breastfed babies slowly-they just nurse less and less until it is just bedtime. I would do formula the same way!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Why don't you ask her doctor at her 12 month appointment? No need to even worry till then... you don't even know if she'll be underweight at that point, and shouldn't make any switch until then anyway.
    Anonymous

• My friend's baby was "underweight" at 12 months and the doc had her guzzling whole milk and had my friend adding butter to everything.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would start introducing solid foods if you haven't already. Cereals and other foods help to counter the change in diet. Doctors recommend whole milk to start with, (NO SKIM) because babies need the fat from it. Once she's eating 3 or more small meals of solid foods (remember her stomach's only about the size of her fist) a day, you could start weaning her off of the formula. There are ways to do it that may or may not work for your baby. Each child is different. Our doctor recommended mixing in half milk to half formula when we started weaning our son, but he was a year and 3 mos old before we started to push for milk and no formula. GL. Talk to her doctor about what's best for your child, where she is underweight. He or she may have some specific advice or concerns.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:34 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Only switch her to cow milk if she is a baby cow. Seriously, she can drink water and eat foods loaded with calcium (http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/strong_bones.html) and good fats (avocado, egg yolk scrambled in olive oil, hummus made with olive oil, flax oil or hemp oil mixed with foods, etc). See if your local library has Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• rkoloms, what does your post have to do with my question?? Seriously...
    Anonymous