Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to do when a child swallows a penny

My 5 year old grandson swallowed a penny, what should be done?

 
JalexsJamma

Asked by JalexsJamma at 9:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • if the breathing is fine- he will pass it. My neice swallowed a penny when she was two. The doc would prob like to see him- get an xray to see where the penny is. You have to make sure he passes it, becuase it can block his bowels - but i dont think that happens all that much. Good Luck with your grandson- Im sure he will be fine!
    cmlowery

    Answer by cmlowery at 10:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2008

  • If he is having any signs of difficulty with breathing ...Go immediately to the ER. If he has "successfully" swallowed the penny....and in no distress...call his pediatrician.

    MommasCooCoo

    Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2008

  • Oh my goodness, I would be at the hospital regardless.
    momof2boys423

    Answer by momof2boys423 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2008

  • if he is breathing okay just call the dr tommorow when they open. they will most likely tell you to let it pass
    3rdtymsthecharm

    Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 10:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2008

  • i used to swallow tacks as a child i was wierd im sure hes fine as long as hes breathing alright
    LindsayRose05

    Answer by LindsayRose05 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2008

  • Take him to the doctor before it causes an intestinal blockage.
    manna1qd

    Answer by manna1qd at 9:09 AM on Aug. 6, 2008

  • I did this when I was a child. If the child is fine breathing wise it is not a immediate emergency. I would take him to the doctor so they can get a test done to check for intestional blockage. He more than likely is fine and will just pass it.
    amandantravis

    Answer by amandantravis at 2:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2008