I need help..

I put my son to bed two hours ago.. he's been sleeping so well lately I thought for sure tonight would be my lucky night and I'd get a good night's sleep. The night before last he had a rough night..not sure why but he'd wake up, cry, and go back to sleep, or just cry in his sleep, doesn't matter. He could get back to sleep, but I can't. Once I'm up, I'm up. For at least an hour. So I slept like crap that night. Last night my cat was a pain in the butt, and woke me more than a dozen times. (I really...really...wanted to kick her out...of the house..but she's an indoor cat.)
So tonight, I'm a total bitch because my son's screaming..and won't stop unless I'm holding him. I REFUSE to bring him to bed with me. Because I won't get any sleep that way and he thinks he's gonna get to sleep in bed with mommy and daddy. So we're both up, and I'm feeling really grouchy at him. I need some one to help calm me down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put him in bed and walk outside for a min. take a deep breath. maybe try rocking him? he might just not feel well and that is why he's not going to bed and he woke up last night
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:31 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• It's a phase momma. Take a deep breath and enjoy the feeling of holding him for soon he won't want you too. They grow up so fast. DD will be 2 in 3 weeks, gasp! She no longer wants me to rock her, sob! I run a noise machine in her room all night that seems to help guard against silence and house settling noises. It plays white noise.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• how old is he? i know at 16 months, my son went through this phase where he'd wake up in the middle of the night. if he hadn't put himself back down after 20 minutes, i'd go get him, cuddle and sit in the living room and watch a 15 minute educational show, then put him back to bed. the first couple of nights he cried after putting him back to bed, so i would let him cry for 20 minutes, if that didn't work, i'd do it all over. after a couple of days of this, he got the hint that he only got up once then it was bedtime. this was only for a couple of weeks, and then he started sleeping through the night again. sometimes i would hear him in the middle of the night playng in his room, maybe you need to get a nightlight or something and he can get up and play quietly with his toys then go back to sleep on his own? other than that i can't really help you. all i can say is remember we've all been there, and this wil pass! GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I've been there SOOO many times. I have noticed that when it happens, I discover in the next day or two that my daughter has a cold or is getting another tooth. Whatever is causing his disruption, I hope it gets better soon.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Just try to relax and go with the flow. Stop thinking long-term and do what's best for right now, this minute. Maybe your son needs some extra cuddling tonight, and that's okay. Dont you have lonely nights, when you need some extra cuddling?

The thing is, nobody can control your anger/frustration besides YOU. Get inside your own mind and TELL yourself that your going to get under control and calm down. Also, put yourself in your son's shoes and stop thinking about it from only your point of view.

I've gotten frustrated to the point of scaring myself before. I've never harmed my daughter in any way, but I know I always feel guilty the next day for being so grumpy with her. So, i've taught myself mind control. Nobody can make you feel anything besides yourself. You ARE in control of your feelings and thoughts. So take control, and calm down.

Oh, and it's OKAY to take a break for a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Is he teething? My 18 month old is getting his molars right now and we are having a similar problem. With clean hands, feel his gums to see if you feel any new teeth coming in. If so, give him a dose of Tylenol or some Hyland's Teething Tablets. That will probably calm him down some. My son likes it when we give him ice water too.
    onecuteladybug2

Answer by onecuteladybug2 at 5:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We coslept; it worked best for us.
    Try putting his mattress on the floor in your room

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2009