If Adam and Eve are the first people...

If there was Adam, Eve, and their sons Caine and Abel and Caine kills Abel, where did Caine's wife come from? Genesis 16-17 Then Cain went away from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, east of Eden. Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch; and he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son, Enoch.

Just an honest question....

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 11:26 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've wondered this myself.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 11:27 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• incest? It seems the only option with such a limited number of people.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I would check out answersingenesis.com. They have great answers to this and other questions. A simple answer-he had to marry a sister or a niece! The Bible says men lived close to 900 years in the beginning. Cain could have been 100 by the time he got married. Eve could have had a lot of children and those kids had their own by then. We aren't given the ages of marriage in the Bible.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• His sister. How else do you think poppulation began!?
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Back then there wasn't a problem marrying within the family. Disease and what not was not as much of an issue yet.

It was not considered incest then.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Well I understand that. I just mean it says he "dwelt in the land of Nod, east of Eden" I assume there could be brothers and sisters out that way. But they were the second men supposedly... bah. I guess I'll just assume it was his sister.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Right, just as Eve was made from Adam using Adams genes she was part of him, so since Adam and Eve carried all the genetic codes for mankind their children would be able to marry and have children, besides the Law about intermarriage was for the Israelite because they were so close-knit in relation to all the surrounding nations.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• He married his sister. His parents had a lot of children, not just Cain and Abel.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• dedicatedrider, that link was great!!! I love Answers in Genesis. And I really enjoyed all that it said about the Scopes Trial and everything. Thanks for posting that.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:20 AM on Apr. 30, 2009