Can you treat ADD without meds?

my son is 16 been on meds. forADD for about five(5) years now. He doesn't like taking it because it stops him from eating. How can you treat ADD without meds.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• First you need to find a therapist who is trained to teach young people with ADD/ADHD how to turn this to their advantage. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this. More information here: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    Next, diet. The link between foods and behavior is huge. www.feingold.org
    Supplementation, with fish oil caps or hemp seed oil caps (best).

Answer by rkoloms at 8:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I would check out the groups here on cafemom. I bet there are at least a few dealing with natural ways to help with that! I have heard other women talk about it, but I don't know much about it myself. Hope you get some suggestions.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:43 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Ummm Try strong coffee with NO SUGAR, NO CREAMER. First thing in the morning. Also as above get into some groups! Lots of knowledge there!
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 11:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• my husband was on meds for a long time!!!! but eventually he stopped taking them and had to mentally control his add/adhd. he has to want to and has to work really hard at controling it!!! it works... well it did for my husbnad(mostly lol he still has his moments but its not too bad)
    olivers_mommy7

Answer by olivers_mommy7 at 2:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• He could try behavior therapy. They will teach him how to work with his disorder without meds. There is also diets he can follow.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• my daughter took behavior therapy. She has ADD without the hyperactivity. They gave her ways to focus her attention on what she needed to do and block out what was causing her mind to wander. It worked. Every now and then she'll say somewthing that is her que to focus.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Dh's nephew went to stay with his grandmother one summer and she was able to get him off his meds using diet and exercise. No processed food or sugar and plenty of outside playtime. Check around, I'm sure there is plenty of info out there.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 5:48 PM on May. 2, 2009