Hampster escapies-HELP.

my son has 4 hampsters well mom takes care of their need,each one is in a 5 gal fish tank,now,you would think they would NOT get out but these little suckers are smart,were not rich and I try to keep things on the top so they cant get out ,,,,well,,,,they do sometimes and I get so aggravated with these little demons:]:]:],I love them to pieces tho but and scould them course they look at me like I,m the crazy one,covers at the pet shop are expensive what else can I use to put on as covers,Wal-Mart,K-Mart or Meijer dont carry covers,,,,help????

momindistress08

Asked by momindistress08 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 29, 2009 in Pets

• Window screen?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• just dont go with plastic. those little guys can chew through almost everything. Ive had 2 or 3 hampsters escape that way.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:57 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I used to have 5 dwarf hamsters that ended up multiplying into 46. we had them in 5 gal tanks until we eventually bought a 50 gal tank that came with a screen for the top. I would look at second hand stores, yard sales, or things of that nature.
    I'm not sure what you could use in place of a screen.

good luck
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My dad once rescued one of our hamsters by putting a nylon stocking over the vaccuum hose and sucking him up. Great idea by the way. How about just a cage? My daughter keeps hers in a little cage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• the vaccuum is a great idea especially when they get behind things and they know you are after their little butts,we tried putting the boys together but they want to fight and the girls together and THEY want to fight,their my rotten children,thanks for the great ideas,hampsters cages fell apart from cleaning them often so I thru it away.I,ll keep looking for things to use.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• hey i know our walmart carrys the screen for the top ot the tank if not make the kids work for stuff that their animals need. We have two frogs at my house and my eight yearold has to do chores to get money to buy food and any thing else the need. or have ylu tried a freecycle group in your area they are great for getting things. some times people have screens they are not using
    coreyhsmom

Answer by coreyhsmom at 8:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2009