lactose intolerent??

my 7 week old son gets the worst gas in the world...no spitting up or constipation tho...could he be lactose intolerent or would there need to be other symptoms beside the gas?

robbinsme

Asked by robbinsme at 12:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm pretty sure he would have to be spitting up more than half his bottle before they would label him. Thats what the doctors told me anyways. My son got gas really easily and it would be so bad he would cry for long periods. Try gas drops and also they have Colic Gripe Water that not only helps with colic babies, but for tummy aches, gas, teething etc. Good luck
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• we use the gas drops, they seem to help a little, but i didnt even think of the gripe water...thanks!!
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 12:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Babies are rarely lactose intolerant. Both formula and breast milk have lots of lactose. It is more likely that he has MSPI which is an intolerance to cow's milk protein. If you are breastfeeding, you should eliminate dairy products from your diet for at least one week and see if that helps. It worked fairly well for two of my three children. Their symptoms sound similar to your son's.  If you are bottle feeding, ask your doctor about formulas that are easier to digest; also see if your son can be tested for MSPI.

For more information, you can do a web search or check out an article that I wrote about Colic and MSPI.

3are_a_blessing

Answer by 3are_a_blessing at 12:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Try bicycling his legs to relieve the gas.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Your very welcome! It works wonders...even when I don't know whats wrong with my lil guy, I give it to him just so that he is soothed somehow. Usually works with in 15-30 min. :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• The gas drops are great. So is bicycling his legs. Another idea is putting him belly down on your legs, just above your knees and patting his back. Another way is to hold him belly down, your hand on his shoulder, your forearm on his belly (your elbow crease will end up between his legs) and patting his back.
    kgck_momma

Answer by kgck_momma at 2:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• thanks for all the help ladies!!
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 2:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2009