• In the Spotlight:

how do you explain homosexuality to your child?

i have a son, and both his father and i have homosexual tendencies. we are around others like us ALL THE TIME. i don't believe in trying to keep secrets from my child, and would like for him to keep an open mind about any person from any lifestyle, race, religion, disability, etc. his father and i are both open about things with him and around him, and we DO draw lines as to what he needs to know, and what goes on around him. i would rather him learn about things like this from us, than learn about it from closed minded individuals, or groups of people... and give him the option to form his own opinion on these things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• When he asks about it just say "Sometimes boys like boys instead of girls and girls like girls instead of boys." Or something to that effect. Stating it casually and without too much embellishment makes it seem like a normal, every day question rather than something you need to have a big talk about. Don't feel weird or bad about talking about it with him. Sex is normal and natural and beautiful in all it's forms :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I'd try to be as honest as possible without any bias and let them make up their own mind.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• We told our son that you love who you love. Sometimes girls love girls and boys love boys. when they are young they don't see boundries to love. It is only after they are taught bias that they recognize it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think that a kid growing up within a family doesn't need homosexuality explained to them anymore than they would need heterosexuality explained to them.

Lemme put it another way. To your kid, it's just normal. Like the sky being blue. It just is.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:19 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Don't explain it until he asks, and tell him something along the lines of, it's normal. Some girls like girls and some boys like boys. Don't try to make homosexuality seem more "right"
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• you let them know that you fall in love with who you fall in love with and sometimes it's a man and a man or a woman and a woman or a man and a woman.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• kids are usually satisfied with a simple answer like the other moms above provided. In most cases like when my dd asked me what gay means I told her It is another word for happy. good enough and with in the next second we were talking about something else.
    rachel0226

Answer by rachel0226 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I've always told my kids "You fall in love with who you fall in love with. Sometimes that's a boy and sometimes that's a girl. Neither one is wrong as long as they treat you with love and respect."
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• I think I agree with Avarah. Since its part of his life, then its just normal. Hes likely not going to know anything different. I guess it would be more a discussion about relationships in general. As for my kids, we don't and arent around that, so I do eventually have to explain it out in time. Age appropriately of course.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:25 AM on Apr. 30, 2009

• Like some have said above it is probably just going to be normal for him. But if you feel the need to explain it's easy...sometimes boys like girls, sometimes they like boys...etc.
    I already explained it to my kids and they have no problems with it and we don't even have any gay family or friends (that I know of). But they've seen it on TV. It has never been a big deal and they understand you love who you love and it doesn't matter what sex that person is.
    And basically that's all there is to the topic. I don't see why it is some horrible, insurmountable task to explain this to kids (I did it when they were toddler/preschool age because the topic came up).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2009